Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dominic Kelly 114 posts 133 karma points
    Jan 12, 2012 @ 17:56
    Dominic Kelly

Adding 'pods' to page?

Is it possible to add 'pods' as my client calls them, or Calls to Action to say a right hand column of a page?

I'm very new (yesterday) to Umbraco but imagine I'd have a new document type called pods, which can be created below a given template (say inner template) in the site tree.

Something similiar to the way I've created an image slider?

http://screencast.com/t/vZNNuoRs

I'm trying to figure out what the best practices for Umbraco are. I'm from an ExpressionEngine background (similiar datatypes, custom fields but no site tree) so some parts of Umbraco are very alien.

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jan 12, 2012 @ 18:02
    Warren Buckley

Hi Dominic,
    I am not entirely clear what you are after but as you say you are brand new to Umbraco.

These free video serieses that I have recorded for Umbraco.TV, give you some basics to Razor and common scenarios and the other is building a site from start to finish.

http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/umbraco-fundamentals/building-the-cws-site.aspx

http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/umbraco-fundamentals/razor-recipes.aspx 

If you can give me some more details to what a 'pod' is then perhaps I can help you out more.

Cheers,
    Warren 

Jan 12, 2012 @ 18:09
    Dominic Kelly

Ok thanks.

So a 'pod' is basically 1 or more divs containing content in a given page. These would be located in the right hand side, in their own column. Each pod would be content mananed via the rich html editor. 

When i build a page, I'd need to be able to new pods to the page depending on the requirements of the page. So rather than creating a finite set of custom fields, I'd like to be able to give my content managers a way to add unlimited pods to the page.

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jan 12, 2012 @ 18:33
    Warren Buckley

It depends how you want to architect your document types and properties, but best practise is to have a 'Gallery' document type that only allows child document types of 'Photo' to be published this way your content editors cant go in and just create a news item in a gallery for example.

In regards to a generic sidebar there is many different apporaches to this:

http://blue-and-orange.net/articles/umbraco/why-umbraco-rocks/   
    This user uses a folder at the root that stores child sidebar nodes, where each of those child nodes has one property which is a Rich Text Editor that will allow the editor to put in whatever they want. Then on any content page/document types that you want the editor to add stuff to a sidebar you can add a property to that document type that uses a multiple content picker. But to make it even more fool prrof you could make sure the multiple content picker only displays nodes from the root folder of sidebar widgets.

Another approach is to use the macrocontainer data type on your document type
    http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/umbraco-fundamentals/datatypes/using-the-macro-container-datatype  

Hope this helps you.
    Warren :) 

Jan 12, 2012 @ 18:34
    Dominic Kelly

Great stuff - I'll get reading!

Jan 13, 2012 @ 02:43
    Dominic Kelly

I don't seem to have the Marco Container Data Type option when I edit a Document Type. Is this an addon?

Jan 13, 2012 @ 03:03
    Dominic Kelly

I've actully figured it out - not very user friendly and unpleasant to the eye, but the functionality looks good.

Jan 13, 2012 @ 03:21
    Dominic Kelly

Any examples of how to interact with Macro Containers using Razor?

Jan 13, 2012 @ 15:10
    Dominic Kelly

So Macro Containers appear not to support images (no way of creating a parameter of type media picker), and Content Picker gives me a .net error. So I don't think this will work, unless I've missed something?

I also can't find the Multiple Content Picker type so not sure how to go about this approach either!

• Lee Kelleher 4024 posts 15833 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jan 13, 2012 @ 15:17
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Dominic,

An alternate approach to using Macro Container could be to use uComponents' RenderTemplate - first watch my screencast, see if it fits the bill.

Cheers, Lee.

PS. I've worked an agency that uses the term "Pods" .. curious if it's the same Manchester-based agency? (not naming names, as they google keyword watch that like a hawk!) ;-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft