Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    May 08, 2012 @ 12:27
    Dan

Get parent of examine search result with Razor

Hi,

I have a razor script which powers a simple website search.  It works fine except some of my content nodes don't have templates associated with them - they're just items in a list.  So when the search finds one of these items I want to link to the parent page and display the whole list of items rather than a link to the node itself which has no template and shouldn't be a 'page' in it's own right.

The code isn't optimised here, but it should show clearly what I'm trying to do:

@foreach (var result in ExamineManager.Instance.Search(searchTerm, true)) {
        @if (@result.Fields["nodeTypeAlias"] == "SubPage") {
            <a href="@umbraco.library.NiceUrl(result.Parent.Id)">
                http://@HttpContext.Current.Request.ServerVariables["HTTP_HOST"]@umbraco.library.NiceUrl(result.Parent.Id)
            </a>
        }else{
            <a href="@umbraco.library.NiceUrl(result.Id)">
                http://@HttpContext.Current.Request.ServerVariables["HTTP_HOST"]@umbraco.library.NiceUrl(result.Id)
            </a>
        }
    }

When the search result is of document type 'SubPage' the link should show the parent of that node, not the node itself.

The problem is that on saving this I get an error, presumably because the Examine object doesn't store parent data:

Examine.SearchResult' does not contain a definition for 'Parent' and no extension method 'Parent' accepting a first argument of type 'Examine.SearchResult' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

What's the simplest way to get around this and return the parent URL of the current search result in the loop?

Thanks folks.

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    May 08, 2012 @ 13:35
    Paul Blair

within the for loop you could do something like:

var node = Model.NodeById(result.Id);

node.Parent.NiceUrl

You probably get rid of the if clause as well by using .AncestorsOrSelf(string nodeTypeAlias)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft