Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Richard Brookes 34 posts 57 karma points
    May 22, 2012 @ 13:23
    Richard Brookes

5.1 Get Siblings of root node

I have several root level nodes in my 5.1 site. Can anybody tell me how I can list the nodes under one root level node from a page under a different tree?

• Grant Thomas 291 posts 324 karma points
    May 22, 2012 @ 13:38
    Grant Thomas

Something like this, perhaps:

var aRootApart = Umbraco.GetContentById(anIdForTheNode);
    if (aRootApart != null) {
      var aRootApartChildrenIds = aRootApart.AllChildIds(); 

Couple of notes. You say "siblings" but refer to "children" (i.e. "under a node") - which should it be, since siblings of a root node would be other root nodes? When using Umbraco.Cms.Web.Model.Content to harness the xxxIds methods then you can get 'bad' data back; that is, `GetContentById` can return null because the Ids can contain those referencing no longer published (or even no longer existing) content.

Lastly, I use `AllChildIds` yet I have no idea if that actually exists; it should be exposed as an extension method but I can't recall the type, can't find the source file nor documentation. It will be something of this sort. You could also, of course, use `GetDynamicContentById` and use `Children`.

• Richard Brookes 34 posts 57 karma points
    May 22, 2012 @ 23:08
    Richard Brookes

Thanks for the reply Grant. Your answer has helped me move on. I will clarify what I am trying to achieve

Here is the structure

-Content

-Root 1

-Root1 Node 1

-Root 2

-Root 2 Node 1

-Root 2 Node 2

From within Root 1 Node 1 I want to list the contents of Root 2. i.e. the contents of the sibling of the root node for the tree I am currently in.

I have been able to do this using the answer above but this requires me to know the id of Root 2. Ideally I would be able find this using the alias or perhaps do the same thing with yet another root node i.e. Root 3

• Grant Thomas 291 posts 324 karma points
    May 22, 2012 @ 23:35
    Grant Thomas

Richard,

If you're within a RenderViewPage then you could possibly do something like this (untested):

var matches = Hive.QueryContent().Where(c => c["someAlias"] == "someAliasValue");

Give that a shot and play around with it.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft