Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Peck 690 posts 1896 karma points c-trib
    Mar 01, 2013 @ 10:43
    David Peck

MNTP and performance

We have a client whose magazine site is being rebuilt in Umbraco. We'll import the 10,000 current articles in to the site, so we have to be mindful of performance.

I'm intending to setup categorisation of the articles using a MNTP on the doc type, however when I want to list out all articles within a category I imagine I'm going to need to parse the MNTP content for EVERY article, which has the potential for performance issues. I appreciate this can be mitigated through macro caching but this doesn't seem like an ideal solution.

Firstly, do you think this is likely to cause performance issues and secondly can you think of a better way that will enable categorisation to be described at a DB level.

Cheers,

David

Mar 01, 2013 @ 11:09
    David Peck

Would a good solution be to listen for the publishing & delete events on my articles and replicate the relationship using the relationship API?

• Hendy Racher 863 posts 3849 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Mar 01, 2013 @ 11:23
    Hendy Racher

Hi David,

How about using Picker Relations with the MTNP to enhance the content editors experience (see Who Picked This), once wired up, you could also use the Relations API to query for all articles for a given category, but I'd suggest using Examine for the front-end queries as this can be much faster than even the single db hit used by relations !

HTH,

Hendy

• Hendy Racher 863 posts 3849 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Mar 01, 2013 @ 11:48
    Hendy Racher

BTW, If you wire up the MNTP with Picker Relations, using a RelationType with the alias "relateCategoryToArticle" you can get all Articles for a Category with:

IEnumerable articleNodes = RelationType.GetByAlias("relateCategoryToArticle")
                                                 .GetRelations(categoryId)
                                                 .Select(x => uQuery.GetNode(x.Child.Id));
    Mar 01, 2013 @ 12:35
    David Peck

Thanks Hendy. This is exactly the solution I was after. I must have been on the Christmas Sherry that day.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft