Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alex Skrypnyk 6147 posts 24056 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jun 12, 2013 @ 18:04
    Alex Skrypnyk

Comments on a page: best way ?

Hello,

Could you give me some advice how to create comments system on Umbraco v6 ? 

Thanks,

Alex

• Andy Butland 422 posts 2334 karma points MVP 4x hq c-trib
    Jun 13, 2013 @ 10:07
    Andy Butland

Think you'll need to consider between doing it yourself with Umbraco - i.e. creating a document type for Comment, allowing it as a sub-node under your pages, render them in your template and use the API for creating the comment nodes from user input (as although you might moderate them from the back-office, they wouldn't normally be created there).  Or outsource the problem and use something like Disqus

• Alex Skrypnyk 6147 posts 24056 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jun 13, 2013 @ 11:53
    Alex Skrypnyk

I thought about first variant, but I'm disappointed about performance, if we will have a lot of pages and a lot of comments ?

Alex

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12134 karma points MVP 9x admin c-trib
    Jun 13, 2013 @ 12:38
    Dave Woestenborghs

You can also you use contour for this. Than you have the option to store the comments as nodes (comment doctype) or in a external database. You can then render the comments with Countour API

Dave

• Ali Sheikh Taheri 470 posts 1648 karma points c-trib
    Jun 13, 2013 @ 13:47
    Ali Sheikh Taheri

Hi Alex,

Is there any particular reason that you don't want to use Disqus (as Andy suggested).

Disqus is really easy to use, moderate, and implement. why reinvent the wheel!

CNN, Telegraph, Spectator magazine and many others (including myself for my personal website) are all using it.

Cheers

Ali

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Jun 14, 2013 @ 00:47
    Funka!

Regarding third-party options: Other than DISQUS, there is also: Livefyre, Facebook Comments social plugin, and now I think Google+ also has an offering of their own.

Regarding a "built-in" option, you can check out the UComment package (although check to be sure it's compatible with whatever version of umbraco you're running.)

One of the advantages of using a third-party plugin to handle your commenting (besides ease of implementation) is for example, with DISQUS, there are related social and community features that can perhaps drive more traffic to your site. A disadvantage is that someone else "owns" your comments and you're at their whim, but sometimes the features offered will outweigh that concern. For me, I did not like it when one day DISQUS started adding its own advertisements to other sites into my comment feeds, but I did find a way you can turn that off so harmony in my world was restored.

Good luck!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft