Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Berto 105 posts 177 karma points
    Aug 06, 2013 @ 21:08
    Berto

Umbraco.TypedContentSingleAtXPath Help

Hi everyone,

So I want to use XPath to get a node, and I'm discovered that UmbracoHelper has the Umbraco.TypedContentSingleAtXPath method, but I don't have the #currentPage variable. I want to execute the following xpath:

$currentPage/ancestor-or-self::* [@isDoc and name() = 'HomePage']/descendant-or-self::* [@isDoc and name = 'Job']

My site will be multi language, so I want to go up the tree to the "root" (not the real root, but the language homepage) and get the Job node, with the right language.

How can I get the this?

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Aug 06, 2013 @ 23:04
    Tom Fulton

Hi,

I don't believe you can use $currentPage etc in this context.

What you might have to do is something like:

var currentSite = <use some method to get the parent ID of the current site youre in>;

var jobs = Umbraco.TypedContentSingleAtXPath("//* [@id = {0}]/descendant-or-self::* [@isDoc and name = 'Job']", currentSite.Id);

This might have performance implications, but it might be the only way if you want to use XPath.

-Tom

Aug 07, 2013 @ 00:27
    Berto

Hi Tom,

But my main reason to use xpath ir because of performance... I still don't know the new api, but with Node Class and the uQuery, when I wanted to make some query a litle more performance, I used xPath, and in some sites there was a real diference with this. Maybe with the IPublished class it's direrent? I'm going to make some tests...

Thx 

Aug 12, 2013 @ 06:13
    Tom Fulton

Hi Berto,

Sorry about that, I see what you mean now. You can achieve this using the old NodeFactory and uQuery with something like this:

var jobs = uQuery.GetCurrentNode().GetAncestorByPathLevel(1).GetDescendantNodesByType("Jobs");

And if you're using MVC and want to take advantage of the new IPublishedContent, you can use something like this:

var jobs = Model.Content.AncestorOrSelf("HomePage").Descendants("Job");

Side note - it might be better if you can narrow down where your Jobs doctypes will be and avoid using Descendants - something like this might be best (assuming you always know where the Jobs content will exist):

var jobs = Model.Content.AncestorOrSelf("HomePage").Children.First(x => x.IsDocumentType("Jobs")).Children.Where(x => x.IsDocumentType("Job"));

Hope that helps, Tom

Aug 12, 2013 @ 11:56
    Berto

Hi Tom,

That is what I'm doing right now, but I wan't to use the xpath. About a year ago I had some performance problems with a site, you can check it here: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/ucomponents/questionssuggestions/31315-Performance-problem-with-uQuery

And the main solution was to either use xpath or GetNodeByType. In this case I just want to use the xpath because of the multi language.

Basically, I just want to know how can I with xPath and the current node, get other contents, or, what is the substitute of the variable $currentPage.

Thanks for the patience and the help!

Berto

Aug 19, 2013 @ 02:17
    Tom Fulton

Hi Berto,

I see what you mean. Unfortunately I don't think this method supports variables, so you'll probably have to do something like this:

var currentSite = umbraco.NodeFactory.Node.GetCurrent(); // assuming older umbraco version?
    var jobs = Umbraco.TypedContentSingleAtXPath("//* [@isDoc][@id = {0}]/descendant-or-self::* [@isDoc and name = 'Job']", currentSite.Id);

Hope that makes sense, Tom

• andrew shearer 506 posts 653 karma points
    Aug 19, 2013 @ 06:50
    andrew shearer

within "UmbracoTemplatePage" view:

var home = Model.Content.AncestorOrSelf("home");
    var jobs = Umbraco.TypedContentSingleAtXPath("//* [@isDoc][@id = {0}]/descendant-or-self::* [@isDoc and name = 'Job']", home.Id);

within Surfacecontroller:

var home = SurfaceController.CurrentPage.AncestorOrSelf("home");
    var jobs = Umbraco.TypedContentSingleAtXPath("//* [@isDoc][@id = {0}]/descendant-or-self::* [@isDoc and name = 'Job']", home.Id);

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft