Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Thomas 160 posts 335 karma points
    Jun 17, 2014 @ 09:08
    Thomas

Umbraco MacroScripts Performance

Hi,

I need any help - suggestions on how to make performance tunning on a travel portal site i am implementing with Umbraco 6.2.1

For the reference, following is a sample page http://new.arttravel.gr/travel-destinations.aspx?countryId=1&cityId=122

So on this page i have to collect multiple List

I need a performance tunning on that page because the macroscript on load collect's the data and then for every object executes a foreach statement in order to render the data to the page. As you can see this is very slow for a travel portal site, and i need to make it operate faster. Do you have any ideas or similar situations in order to help me with that?

I have already enable the cache (every 60 minutes) for the macroscript but still is slow as you can see.

Regards

Thomas

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12134 karma points MVP 9x admin c-trib
    Jun 17, 2014 @ 09:16
    Dave Woestenborghs

Can you enable debugmode and try adding umbdebugshowtrace=true (or showDebug=true if you are using MVC) to the querystring. This will show you the execution time for the macro's.

To enable debug mode make following changes to the web.config

In the appsettings set the following to true

<add key="umbracoDebugMode" value="true" />

And in the system.web/compilation tag set the debug attribute to true.

<compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="true" >

Dave

Jun 17, 2014 @ 09:56
    Thomas

I just did that but i cannot find anywhere on the site the results of the debug.

Thomas

Jun 17, 2014 @ 10:09
    Dave Woestenborghs

Are you using MVC or webforms for your templates ?

Jun 17, 2014 @ 10:11
    Thomas

I am using MVC, umbraco 6.2.1, and by calling the following (you can test it also) i cannot see any debug results.

http://new.arttravel.gr/travel-destinations.aspx?countryId=1&cityId=122&showDebug=true

Jun 17, 2014 @ 10:12
    Dave Woestenborghs

I see you are using MVC.

So if you go to this page : http://new.arttravel.gr/travel-destinations.aspx?countryId=1&cityId=122&umbdebug=true

You will see a small icon in the top left corner that you can click. It shows you which macros are taking up a long time

Jun 17, 2014 @ 10:24
    Thomas

OK,

I saw the results. Thank you. I saw that the left blocks take sometime to load probably because i haven't enable the caching. But these blocks are not the problem. The problem is with the main content area, which even with the caching (the debug results says 0.1ms from cache to get the data) the rendering took some time to be rendered. As a result is the user to see first the left blocks, then the ads loaded on the right column, a grey screen on the middle and after a few seconds (at least 15) the content is rendered. Any suggestions on that?

Jun 17, 2014 @ 10:24
    Thomas

OK,

I saw the results. Thank you. I saw that the left blocks take sometime to load probably because i haven't enable the caching. But these blocks are not the problem. The problem is with the main content area, which even with the caching (the debug results says 0.1ms from cache to get the data) the rendering took some time to be rendered. As a result is the user to see first the left blocks, then the ads loaded on the right column, a grey screen on the middle and after a few seconds (at least 15) the content is rendered. Any suggestions on that?

Jun 17, 2014 @ 11:22
    Dave Woestenborghs

I see al lot of the time spent to render the page is in the browser, about 15 sec. Opening the network tab in chrome's developer tools tells me it are the adds that are blocking the rendering. There are several calls to http://ads.arttravel.gr/ which take over 1 second each

Jun 17, 2014 @ 11:25
    Thomas

I will try first to remove the blocks with the ads to see how long it will take. If that is the problem, how can i postpone the rendering of the ads block until the real data are rendered? I prefer the data to load faster than the ads. The ads are from the OpenX AdServer which exports a script. That script i had added on several macroscripts explicitly for the ads and i had enable the caching for these macros in every hour.

Jun 17, 2014 @ 11:34
    Dave Woestenborghs

I'm not familiar with OpenX AdServer so can't be of help there. Maybe they have a support forum where you can find help.

Also don't forget to turn off the debug information.

Dave

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft