Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robin Hansen 135 posts 368 karma points
    Aug 05, 2014 @ 09:43
    Robin Hansen

Lambda sort on custom property

I've a custom property on my doctypes ("publishdate") which is a DatePicker.

In my foreach loop I would like to check if this property has a value, and if so - check the value comparet to the current Date...

This is what I got so far, with no luck yet :|:

var startNode = Umbraco.TypedContent(Model.MacroParameters["startNodeID"].ToString());

foreach(startNode.DescendantsOrSelf(4).Where(x => x.GetProperty("publishdate") != null ? x.GetPropertyValue("publishdate") >= DateTime.Now() : ""))

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Aug 05, 2014 @ 10:14
    Dan Lister

Hi Robin,

Instead of using the GetProperty method and GetPropertyValue method, you could try using the GetPropertyValue<> method instead where by you pass the type of the property value. So for example:

var startNode = Umbraco.TypedContent(Model.MacroParameters["startNodeID"].ToString());
    foreach (startNode.DescendantsOrSelf(4).Where(x => x.GetPropertyValue<DateTime>("publishdate") >= DateTime.Now()))
    {
        // ....
    }

Aug 05, 2014 @ 10:20
    Robin Hansen

I've tried that allready - however, not all "publishdate" has a value so I need to do a check in my expression, as showed in my first example :|

Aug 05, 2014 @ 10:29
    Dan Lister

Just noticed a couple of things in your original code example. The foreach loop is incorrect. The below should work.

@{
        var startNode = Umbraco.TypedContent(123);
        foreach (var node in startNode.DescendantOrSelfs(4).Where(x => 
            x.HasProperty("publishdate") && 
            x.GetPropertyValue<DateTime>("publishdate") >= DateTime.Now))
        {
            // ...
        }
    }

Thanks, Dan.

Aug 05, 2014 @ 10:39
    Dan Lister

Just a thought, you might want to use the UpdateDate property as all IPublishedContent instances will have a value for this.

@{
        var startNode = Umbraco.TypedContent(123);
        foreach (var node in startNode.DescendantOrSelfs(4).Where(x => x.UpdateDate >= DateTime.Now))
        {
            // ...
        }
    }

Thanks, Dan.

Aug 05, 2014 @ 10:51
    Robin Hansen

Yes! - it was this snippet I was looking for:

x.HasProperty("publishdate")

It now works as intenteed... - however, I don't need the additional .Children in my foreach loop :) 

Aug 05, 2014 @ 10:52
    Dan Lister

Sorry Robin. I've edited my posts accordingly. Its amazing how difficult it is to differentiate between DescendantOrSelfs() and DescendantOrSelf().

:)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft