Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig Willard 21 posts 126 karma points
    Feb 11, 2015 @ 05:39
    Craig Willard

Razor Macro, sorting by numeric field

I've inherited an Umbraco 4.7 project and am trying to sort out why a Razor query is not sorting properly and how to fix it.

I have a Document Type with a Property of type Label called articleViews, which simply keeps track of the # of times an article was viewed.

We want to run a query to show the "most viewed" articles.

var articles= @Model.NodeById(1203) .Descendants() .Where("NodeTypeAlias==\"..."") .OrderBy("articleViews desc");

The query is "working", but is sorting the articleViews field as a string rather than a number, so, the Top 3 articleViews totals are 99, 981, and 979. There are several items with >1000 views, but those are not being sorted properly.

I tried using OrderByDescending(x => x.articleViews) but am getting a .NET error "Cannot use a lambda expression as an argument to a dynamically dispatched operation without first casting it to a delegate or expression tree type"

I could use some help here. I feel like the solution is probably not too complicated.

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Feb 11, 2015 @ 09:10
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

Umbraco 4.7 Razor is all dynamic and you can't use OrderByDescending(x => x.articleViews) because extension methods don't work on dynamic objects. There is a walkthourgh here which might help: http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2011/2/23/umbraco-47-razor-feature-walkthrough-%E2%80%93-part-1

It's probably best to just not use dynamics here. So debug te code and check what @Model.NodeById(1203) .Descendants() .Where("NodeTypeAlias==\"..."") returns. Probably something like DynamicNodeList.

Than something like this should work:

DynamicNodeList articles = @Model.NodeById(1203).Descendants().Where("NodeTypeAlias==\"..."");
    articles.OrderByDescending(x => Convert.ToInt32(x.articleViews))

Jeroen

Feb 11, 2015 @ 16:13
    Craig Willard

Thanks for the advice, Jeroen. I am still running into issues unfortunately.

I can confirm that @articles is returning an object of type umbraco.MacroEngines.DynamicNodeList

When I attempt to do articles.OrderByDescending(x => Convert.ToInt32(x.articleViews)) I get the same error: "Cannot use a lambda expression as an argument to a dynamically dispatched operation without first casting it to a delegate or expression tree type."

I've gotten this far before but I'm not sure of the correct way to cast/convert the type.

Feb 11, 2015 @ 16:16
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

Could you show me the code?

So instead of this:

var articles= @Model.NodeById(1203).Descendants().Where("NodeTypeAlias==\"..."");

You should do this:

DynamicNodeList articles = @Model.NodeById(1203).Descendants().Where("NodeTypeAlias==\"..."");

Don't use var because than it's still dynamic.

Jeroen

Feb 11, 2015 @ 16:27
    Craig Willard

Here's my code:

@using umbraco.MacroEngines;
    @inherits umbraco.MacroEngines.DynamicNodeContext
    @{
        var contentRoot = @Model.NodeById(1203); //home node

DynamicNodeList articles= contentRoot
                    .Descendants()
                    .Where("NodeTypeAlias!=\"ArticlesContainer\"");
    }
    <h3>Popular Articles</h3>
    <ul>@foreach (var article in articles.OrderByDescending(x => Convert.ToInt32(x.articleViews))) { ... }</ul>

And I'm now getting this error:

'umbraco.MacroEngines.DynamicNodeList' does not contain a definition for 'OrderByDescending' and no extension method 'OrderByDescending' accepting a first argument of type 'umbraco.MacroEngines.DynamicNodeList' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Feb 11, 2015 @ 16:30
    Jeroen Breuer

DynamicNodeList inherits from IEnumerable<DynamicNode> so OrderByDescending should work. Did you include the System.Linq namespace?

So add this at the top of your Razor file:

@using System.Linq;

Jeroen

Feb 11, 2015 @ 16:33
    Craig Willard

Jeroen,

I had not included the reference @usingSystem.Linq; but I just added it and am receiving the same error as in my previous post.

Any ideas on what the issue might be?

Feb 19, 2015 @ 06:15
    Craig Willard

Bump... still stuck here.

Anyone?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft