Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Abdullah Anwar 36 posts 56 karma points
    Mar 16, 2015 @ 13:58
    Abdullah Anwar

Master Table Creation

Hi

Could you please tell me how to create master tables in Umbraco.

I have to create state, city master tables and then have to use these table data while adding location in my website.

In future have to update these master table so how could i achieve this with umbraco cms.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 16, 2015 @ 14:22
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Abdullah and welcome to our :)

What is it you're going to build? Can you describe it in a bit more detail? What will you need to expose on the website? The data is not necessarily suitable for storing in a CMS but is possible to attach to content pages using custom sections in the CMS for instance.

If you can ellaborate a bit more it will be easier to try and point you in the right direction.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

Mar 16, 2015 @ 15:29
    Abdullah Anwar

I am going to build a website that has contact us page.

In that we have give state  dropdown and city dropdown.

Once user select state dropdown we populates the city dropdown and once user select city based on th selected city we are displaying the available locations.

So i just want to confirm how can i add state and city master in the CMS so that any  person can add those fields in future.

Suppose we have newyork, london city if i want to add paris in this list so how i could i achieve this by CMS.

Mar 16, 2015 @ 15:56
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Abdullah

Just one more question - The cities...are they stored in a custom table in the database? Or do you plan storing them inside Umbraco?

/Jan

Mar 16, 2015 @ 16:37
    Abdullah Anwar

Yes, i want to store in umbraco CMS instead of storing in custome table.

IS it possible.

Mar 16, 2015 @ 16:42
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Abdullah

Indeed it's possible - Just trying to figure out what you wanted to do before suggesting a solution. Depending on how you see the world there can be a lot of ways to answer your initial question, which can lead to much confusion.

So...what I would do is to create a Repository of cities in the "Content" section. You can create a documenttype called "Cities" and a document type called "City".

Allow the "Cities" document type to be created at the root level and then allow "City" to be created under "Cities". On the "City" document type you can add fields for the city like "Name", "Coordinates", "Country" or whatever information you wish to expose.

Now you can populate a dropdown on the frontend using the cities you have defined in the content section.

If you need to make it possible for content editors to choose a city from a dropdown in the backoffice this is also possible by creating an instance of the multinode picker and configure it to be able to select nodes from the "Cities" repositories".

Hope this makes sense.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft