Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Giorgio 6 posts 46 karma points
    Apr 06, 2015 @ 12:19
    Giorgio

Iteration over all nodes on application startup

Hi,

I want to iterate over all the published nodes (if it's fast enough (sub 20-30 seconds) then unpublished too) when my application starts and put them in a Dictionary<int, Object>.

I tried a few ways to do this, such as:

1) UmbracoContext.Current.HttpContext: it requires HttpRequest as far as I understand and therefore can't use it on application startup

2) UmbracoApplicationBase -> ContentService: it's too slow (takes at least 2 minutes to iterate)

3) uQuery: even slower than ContentService

4) DynamicNode: it's really fast but gets only the published content (I can live with that..)

Therefore I'm leaning towards using DynamicNode but I've been reading over the internet it's not recommended.

Does anyone have any recommendations how to do such iteration efficientaly?

P.S: I know there are many problems with me putting the nodes inside a dictionary like that (for example after publishing I have to update the dictionary etc.), but let's assume there are no problems for now :)

Thank you in advance,

Giorgio

• Mike Chambers 635 posts 1252 karma points c-trib
    Apr 07, 2015 @ 01:04
    Mike Chambers

Left field option 5... Just go direct to the app_data\umbraco.config XML file parse that avoiding any umbraco overheads?

Still only published content though.

Another thought interrogate an examine index?

Apr 07, 2015 @ 08:05
    Giorgio

Thank you for your response.

I have considered Examine but haven't test it just yet.

I tried avoiding parsing the XML file myself since it might get complicated with time when we add new document types, and as far as I understand DynamicNode actually uses the umbraco.config so it's basically doing the exact job I would've done when parsing.

• Alex Skrypnyk 6133 posts 23952 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Apr 07, 2015 @ 10:31
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Giorgio,

Examine is the best thing for performance, it's 100%. XML parsing it's hard and usefull, try to use Examine or clear Lucene queries to your own index set.

Examine is created for speed.

http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2011/9/16/examining-examine

https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Reference/Searching/Examine/

Thanks

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Apr 07, 2015 @ 12:12
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

DynamicNode is the old legacy api. If you want to get published nodes try IPublishedContent.

Jeroen

Apr 09, 2015 @ 11:15
    Giorgio

Thank you for the replies.

Eventually I reverted to using UmbracoHelper which operates relateively fast (not as fast as I would have wanted though) since it uses umbraco.config.

I am facing another problem now though:

Using 7.1.1.

Via a standalone application, I use ContentService to add nodes to umbraco (I parse a file and add its contents to the system). I perform Save and then Publish and the nodes appear as published in the front-end umbraco and I can see them in the database under cmsContent.

All is good and nice except that ContentService is not updating the xml (cache) umbraco.config and therefore they won't show up neither in the UmbracoHelper nor in cmsContentXml table.

I have read many posts regarding the issue, but none have helped. Some suggested I use UpdateDocumentCache, but it's deprecated and it doesn't solve the problem anyway.

Republishing the entire site doesn't update, neither manually nor via the link dialogs/republish.aspx?xml=true since the data is not in the cache in the first place!

Also, performing library.RefreshContent throws a null exception.

To sum up, I'm confused about two things:

1) Which umbraco.config should be updated? The one in the standalone application's bin/AppData folder or the one in the web project's AppData folder?

2) How do i enforce updating the web project's umbraco.config file.

Thank you in advance

P.S: Let me know if i should open a new post for this..

P.P.S: I'm leaving Examine as a last resort since it's a tad more complicated.

• Alex Skrypnyk 6133 posts 23952 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Apr 11, 2015 @ 18:13
    Alex Skrypnyk

Giorgio,

Did you try ApplicationContext.Services.ContentService.SaveAndPublishWithStatus(playerFromUmbraco, 0, false); method?

We are using it for such situations.

Umbraco.config is placed in project AppData folder, not bin.

Thanks

Apr 12, 2015 @ 12:24
    Giorgio

Ok eventually everything worked out:

I'm doing the iteration through UmbracoHelper.

Regarding not updating umbraco.config:

1) In Web.config "umbracoContentXMLUseLocalTemp" was set to True, changing it to False helped in the next step.

2) I started working in a different manner for inserting data:

The standalone application saves the nodes but does not publish them.

As has been said in this post, a standalone application cannot publish content since it's not in webcontext. Therefore I used a solution similar to the one suggested in the second page of this link where I send a HTTP request to my server to publish the nodes by itself.

Thank you everyone for trying to help.

(Is there a way to mark this topic as solved?)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft