Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mohammad Javed 64 posts 373 karma points
    Nov 17, 2015 @ 13:54
    Mohammad Javed

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Hello Umbracians,

I've got a development site up on Vidahost and it was working fine over the weekend, no one has accessed the backend of Umbraco so not sure what has gone but i now get this error.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       umbraco.library.GetXmlNodeByXPath(String xpathQuery) +83

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
       System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor) +0
       System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments) +76
       System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) +193
       UmbracoExamine.DataServices.UmbracoContentService.GetPublishedContentByXPath(String xpath) +117
       UmbracoExamine.BaseUmbracoIndexer.AddNodesToIndex(String xPath, String type) +31
       UmbracoExamine.BaseUmbracoIndexer.PerformIndexAll(String type) +1008
       UmbracoExamine.UmbracoContentIndexer.PerformIndexAll(String type) +618
       UmbracoExamine.BaseUmbracoIndexer.PerformIndexRebuild() +98
       Examine.ExamineManager._RebuildIndex() +141
       Umbraco.Web.WebBootManager.<InitializeResolvers>b__c() +277
       Umbraco.Core.Sync.DatabaseServerMessenger.Initialize() +370
       Umbraco.Core.Sync.DatabaseServerMessenger.Boot() +194
       Umbraco.Core.CoreBootManager.<Complete>b__8(IApplicationEventHandler x) +220
       Umbraco.Core.EnumerableExtensions.ForEach(IEnumerable`1 items, Action`1 action) +148
       Umbraco.Core.CoreBootManager.Complete(Action`1 afterComplete) +320
       Umbraco.Web.WebBootManager.Complete(Action`1 afterComplete) +95
       Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase.StartApplication(Object sender, EventArgs e) +355

[HttpException (0x80004005): Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
       System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.EnsureAppStartCalledForIntegratedMode(HttpContext context, HttpApplication app) +12964021
       System.Web.HttpApplication.RegisterEventSubscriptionsWithIIS(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context, MethodInfo[] handlers) +175
       System.Web.HttpApplication.InitSpecial(HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers, IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +304
       System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +404
       System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext) +475

[HttpException (0x80004005): Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +12981028
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +159
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +12820621

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.34274

I believe this may be something to do with one of the surface controllers i have for the custom built contact form.

using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Web;
    using System.Web.Mvc;
    using System.Xml.XPath;
    using Umbraco.Core.Services;
    using Umbraco.Web.Mvc;

/// <summary>
    /// Summary description for ContactSurfaceController
    /// </summary>

namespace LiquidThinker2015
    {
        public class ContactSurfaceController : SurfaceController
        {
            public object XPathModeIterator { get; private set; }

public ActionResult ShowForm()
            {
                ContactModel myModel = new ContactModel();
                List<SelectListItem> ListOfServices = new List<SelectListItem>();
                XPathNodeIterator iterator = umbraco.library.GetPreValues(1435);
                iterator.MoveNext();
                XPathNodeIterator preValues = iterator.Current.SelectChildren("preValue", "");
                while (preValues.MoveNext())
                {
                    string preValue = preValues.Current.GetAttribute("id", "");
                    ListOfServices.Add(new SelectListItem
                    {
                        Text = preValues.Current.Value,
                        Value = preValues.Current.GetAttribute("id","")
                    });
                    myModel.ListOfServices = ListOfServices;
                }
                return PartialView("ContactForm", myModel);
            }

public ActionResult HandleFormPost(ContactModel model)
            {
                var newComment = Services.ContentService.CreateContent(model.Name + " - " + DateTime.Now.ToString("dd/MM/yyyy HH:mm"), CurrentPage.Id, "ContactFormula");

//DataTypeService myService = new DataTypeService();
                //var SelectedService = myService.GetAllDataTypeDefinitions().First(x => x.Id == 1435);
                //int SelectedServicePreValueId = myService.GetPreValuesCollectionByDataTypeId(SelectedService.Id).PreValuesAsDictionary.Where(x => x.Value.Value == model.SelectedService).Select(x => x.Value.Id).First();

newComment.SetValue("contactName", model.Name);
                newComment.SetValue("companyName", model.Company);
                newComment.SetValue("emailFrom", model.Email);
                newComment.SetValue("telephoneNumber", model.Telephone);
                newComment.SetValue("dropdownServices", model.SelectedService);
                newComment.SetValue("contactMessage", model.Message);

Services.ContentService.SaveAndPublishWithStatus(newComment);

return RedirectToUmbracoPage(1454);
                //return RedirectToCurrentUmbracoPage();
            }
        }
    }

Any ideas as to what's gone wrong here? I guess there is a value not being set somewhere?

Nov 17, 2015 @ 17:40
    Mohammad Javed

For anyone with the same error as me the connection string needs to have \dbname and append flush interval=1 as well.

<add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="Data Source=|DataDirectory|\liquidthinker-db.sdf;Flush Interval=1;" providerName="System.Data.SqlServerCe.4.0" />

• Tim Miller 32 posts 252 karma points
    Nov 17, 2015 @ 19:01
    Tim Miller

I wonder if there was an actual problem with the connection string, or if just you editing the Web.config forced the site to restart and that is what actually fixed your issue. When nothing has changed and I start getting weirdness like this I'll touch the Web.config first and see if that fixes it. I generally add a comment at the bottom of the file and increment it. Something like this:

<!-- Touches: abcd -->

I had a site just this morning that was complaining about a missing file (it wasn't missing) and I just added the next letter to my touches comment and it was good.

Nov 18, 2015 @ 11:44
    Mohammad Javed

Yeah, best place to start is the web.config then take it from there. Glad i got my issue sorted.

Thanks for taking the time in contributing to my post.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft