Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Ferguson 15 posts 35 karma points
    Aug 09, 2010 @ 18:58
    David Ferguson

Looping the first x records

I have a website that displays News items on the homepage. The user can select which articles to display on the homepage with use of the true/false field assigned to each article.

I only want to display the first 4 articles that have this flag set to true.

I am looping using a condition which checks the position() and when it reaches 4 it breaks the loop. However, if I disable the first news item in the list, only 3 items are displayed on the home page. I assume that the position is counting the first news item and therefore when the position gets to 4 it has actually only found 3 which are active.

My code;

<xsl:for-each select="$currentPage/ancestor-or-self::node//node [@nodeTypeAlias = $documentTypeAlias and string(data [@alias='active']) = '1' and string(data [@alias='teaseHomepage'])='1' and position()!=4]">

<div class="newsHomeHeader">

<a href="{umbraco.library:NiceUrl(@id)}"><strong><xsl:value-of select="substring(data [@alias = 'pageTitle'],1,40)"/></strong></a>

</div>

<div class="newsHomeStory">

<xsl:value-of select="substring(data [@alias = 'summary'],1,50)"/>...

</div>

</xsl:for-each>

So how do I display 4 items that have the tease flag set to true?

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Aug 09, 2010 @ 19:05
    Tom Fulton

Just for kicks, try:

<xsl:for-each select="$currentPage/ancestor-or-self::node//node 
    [@nodeTypeAlias = $documentTypeAlias and string(data [@alias='active']) =
    '1' and string(data [@alias='teaseHomepage'])='1'][position()!=4]">

I seem to recall a similar issue fixed by putting the position() condition in it's own bracket set.  Not entirely sure though :)

Also I would think you should probably use something like [position &lt; 5], otherwise (I would think) it would keep going after the 4th and just not include the 4th.

• Donald St. Martin 83 posts 128 karma points
    Aug 09, 2010 @ 20:09
    Donald St. Martin

Here is my for-each loop that I use to display the 7 latest items from an RSS feed:

<xsl:for-each select="$y/rss/channel/item">
                <xsl:if test="position() &lt; 8">
                    <li class="feeditem">
                        <xsl:variable name="href" select="link" />
                        <xsl:variable name="title" select="title" />
                                <a href="{$href}" alt="{$title}" title="{$title}" target="_blank">
                                    <xsl:value-of select="title" disable-output-escaping="yes"/>
                        </a>
                    </li>
                </xsl:if>
            </xsl:for-each>

Just add your flag to the for-each loop just like you would add the umbracoNaviHide.

Hope this helps,

--
    Donald

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Aug 09, 2010 @ 22:08
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi David,

Tom's right - moving the position() criterion to a separate predicate (square brackets ~= "filter") makes it operate on the result of the previous filter instead of being part of that filter. So the first part selects all the candidates ($documentTypeAlias, $active and $teaseHomePage) which creates kind of a temporary node-set, which you apply the position filter to afterwards to get only the 4 you want.

And yes, you will also need to use [position() &lt; 5] to get the first 4...

/Chriztian

• David Ferguson 15 posts 35 karma points
    Aug 10, 2010 @ 01:49
    David Ferguson

Thanks guys, your posts were right on the money.. I love this forum!!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft