Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Scott M. Fulton III 19 posts 42 karma points
    Sep 16, 2010 @ 19:56
    Scott M. Fulton III

Suddenly RSS doesn't work...Why?

Hello, everyone:

Up until today, the RSS feed on my Web site (net1news.com) was working quite well.  Today, for reasons I can't ascertain, I'm getting this little message instead, when dialing up http://net1news.com/rss.aspx

Page not found

No umbraco document matches the url 'http://net1news.com/rss.aspx'

umbraco tried this to match it using this xpath query'/root/node [@urlName = "rss"] | /root/node/node [@urlName = "rss"]')

I built the feed using the template and the Umbraco.tv video as guides -- in fact, I did that two months ago, and had no troubles at all.  As directed, I created an XSLT routine that produces the RSS content.  I then built an extremely simple macro that calls up the XSLT:

<%@ Master Language="C#" MasterPageFile="/umbraco/masterpages/default.master" AutoEventWireup="true" %>

<asp:Content ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolderDefault" runat="server"><umbraco:Macro Alias="Net1NewsRSS" runat="server"></umbraco:Macro>
    </asp:Content>

Notice the lack of spaces between the content placeholder tags and the macro tags.  And that worked fine.  The macro is saved with an alias of rss.  This way, the file rss.aspx attached to the URL produces the feed.

Other experimental templates I had built to be triggered the same way, also worked perfectly up until today.  I'm not at all certain what happened, but I suspect the clue is in the XPATH query the system is spitting out, and I just can't see the clue yet.  Much obliged for your help.

Yours,

Scott Fulton

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Sep 16, 2010 @ 23:13
    Morten Bock

Could you be missing a 404 handler?

What does your /config/404handlers.config look like?

Sep 21, 2010 @ 23:47
    Scott M. Fulton III

Well, at first I thought I wasn't getting my point across, but let me see if I gather what you're implying, Morten:  Is it that there should now be something in this 404handlers.config file that redirects the RSS request to the rss.aspx page?  If so, why didn't it need to be there before?

My 404handlers.config file is untouched since installation:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <NotFoundHandlers>

<notFound assembly="umbraco" type="SearchForAlias" />

<notFound assembly="umbraco" type="SearchForTemplate"/>

<notFound assembly="umbraco" type="SearchForProfile"/>

<notFound assembly="umbraco" type="handle404"/>
    </NotFoundHandlers>

Is there some change I need to make now? Perhaps in the wake of security updates to ASP.NET?

Scott

Sep 21, 2010 @ 23:55
    Scott M. Fulton III

I do have what appears to be a workable solution; it's not automatic, but hey, so what if it works:  I've created a Document Type whose default template is RSS, the same template that used to bring up RSS automatically.  I then created a content item just off the root called RSS, whose Document Type is RSS.  Now http://net1news.com/rss.aspx brings up the feed.

This may still be an issue, however, for folks whose RSS feeds used to be generated using what I suppose I'll call the "Umbraco 4.0 method."  If that issue crops up for you, try this as a solution.

Scott

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Sep 22, 2010 @ 08:19
    Morten Bock

What I wanted to check was that the SearchForTemplate handler was there. That is the component in charge of making example.com/rss.aspx into example.com/?altTemplate=rss but it looks like something else is wrong here.

What does the trace say if you use /rss.aspx?umbdebugshowtrace=true (and unpublish your new content rss page so that it does not exist)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft