Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martin Rud 231 posts 901 karma points c-trib
    Sep 18, 2010 @ 12:07
    Martin Rud

Getting Umbraco to output ISO 8859-1 entity names for special characters and symbol

Hi forum,

For a template to be used for newsletters I need Umbraco to output entity names for the danish special characters like æ, ø and å. The entity names are æ ø and å

Reason why is: My templates is UTF-8 encoded and therefore it should bed no problem that Umbraco output æ, ø and å directly in the HTML. But unfortunately newsletters viewed in Outlook 2003 doesn´t look right: "brød" is shown as "brød", "skærekage" as "skærekage" and "også" as "ogsÃ¥". Here I´d like Umbraco to output "brød", "sk ærekage" and "også"

Can I somehow make Umbraco change the output in the HTML? Either by XSLT-work or by som kind of .NET parsing the page before sending it.

Also other non-danish special chars give problems so I seek a generic solution, not replacering the three danish chars.

Regards, Martin

• Brian Juul Andersen 44 posts 98 karma points c-trib
    Mar 22, 2011 @ 09:42
    Brian Juul Andersen

I´ve got the same issue here.

Does anybody have any hints on how to remedy this ?

Mar 22, 2011 @ 10:07
    Martin Rud

I still haven´t found a solution....

• Brian Juul Andersen 44 posts 98 karma points c-trib
    Mar 22, 2011 @ 10:54
    Brian Juul Andersen

If you use the nibble mail engine maybe this could be of some help for you:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/extending-umbraco/5151-Send-Mail-%28nibble-mail-engine%29-danish-characters-problem

Mar 22, 2011 @ 11:18
    Martin Rud

Thanks! I found another solution at the point when I got no answer. 

Brian > if your solution works for you, I can mark it as a solution. Just let me know.

• Mikko Vartiainen 9 posts 29 karma points
    Jun 10, 2011 @ 16:40
    Mikko Vartiainen

Hi Martin,

How did you solve it in the end? I'm having the same problem with the letters Å, Ä and Ö.

Although the e-mails and characters look good in most e-mail clients, there still are some osbcure ones that fail to show them properly. Thus, I'm trying to find out how to replace Å Ä Ö with Å, Ä and Ö to solve the problem once and for all.

/Mikko

Jun 10, 2011 @ 22:00
    Martin Rud

Hi Mikko,

It´s a long time ago, but I looked into my code. I made a quick hack in Helper.cs in Nibbles mail engine. I replace the chars in the body that is mailed afterwards:

string newsletterCharsToReplace = "Æ:Æ|æ:æ|Ø:Ø|ø:ø|Å:Å|å:å|½:½|¼:¼|¾:¾";

string[] arrayCharsToReplace = newsletterCharsToReplace.Split('|');

foreach (string charToReplace in arrayCharsToReplace)

{

string[] arrayCharToReplace = charToReplace.Split(':');

body = body.Replace(arrayCharToReplace[0], arrayCharToReplace[1]);

}

• Morten Balle 38 posts 129 karma points
    Aug 12, 2011 @ 11:02
    Morten Balle

Hi Martin

I'm having the same problem.., and would like to use your solution.., but ehhh.., where to find the helper.cs in Nibbles package..?

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Morten

Aug 12, 2011 @ 11:27
    Martin Rud

Hi Morten,

You can find the source code here: http://www.nibble.be/temp/MailEngine.zip (posted on http://www.nibble.be/?p=63#comment-10623). :)

Best regards, Martin

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft