Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Thomas Kahn 602 posts 506 karma points
    Nov 16, 2010 @ 10:45
    Thomas Kahn

Generate dynamic javascript and add it to a .js file?

Hi!

I'm working on a site where I'll make quite heavy use of javascript and at the same time I will need to fetch data from Umbraco. Yes, I could create an XSLT-script that generates javascript code and put it as a macro in the template. But if the macro just prints the javascript, it would be added to the page as a page script like this:

<script type="text/javascript">
    //My script code goes here
    </script>

...and browsers don't cache these scripts like they do when you have them in a separate file and included on the page like this:

<script type="text/javascript" src="myScript.js"></script>

The second idea I have is to use a regular .js file and have it load data using AJAX from a resource page that I set up in Umbraco. This page would just contain an XSLT-script that generates JSON, HTML-snippets or whatever I need. Still it would mean an extra call to the server.

Is there a smarter way that I haven't thought of?

Regards,
    Thomas Kahn

• Steen Tøttrup 191 posts 291 karma points c-trib
    Nov 16, 2010 @ 10:51
    Steen Tøttrup

One way of doing this, involves making a HttpHandler. I've used in it a number of projects, and you can take a look at it here: http://dic2js.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/view/54174#1192594

It might not be the prettiest piece of code, but it should show you what I'm talking about.

This is part of a package I've done, that generates javascript using xml (data from Umbraco) and xslt.

regards,

Steen

• Sean Mooney 131 posts 158 karma points c-trib
    Nov 16, 2010 @ 14:20
    Sean Mooney

@Thomas, 

You could do just as you are saying, create a template that has a macro on it to out put js then add it to the page in the following manner:

<script type="text/javascript" src="MyTemplateName.aspx"></script>

You might also thing about setting the content type, by putting this at the top of your macro.

<xsl:value-of select="umbraco.library:ChangeContentType('text/javascript')" />

I have found this to be the easiest way to add javascript, it is also great for create dynamic XML to feed to a flash file

-Sean

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft