Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kristian Sørensen 22 posts 42 karma points
    Nov 29, 2010 @ 20:22
    Kristian Sørensen

My pointers redirect

Hi Guys,

I try to figure out a site a former employ have made - can't figure it totally out.

Because the menu is a little strange, some pages have more ways to it - the solution on this is that there is made some pointers. But this pointers dont point directly, but have some kind of redirect.

It points on something like: "sub-text.aspx" and redirect to "right-page.aspx", I would like it to skip this redirect and point directly.

Do you have an idea where to look for this function and fix it?

Thx

Nov 29, 2010 @ 20:29
    Kristian Sørensen

The pointers is made when a create a new page, there i select a "redirecter" - mayby that can help some of you.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 29, 2010 @ 20:46
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Kristian

Maybe he has been using the umbracoRedirect property to do it?

Try going to the settings section and find the relevant document type and see what the name of the alias is. You can see more about the different umbraco "options", here http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/umbraco-best-practices

/Jan

Nov 29, 2010 @ 20:52
    Kristian Sørensen

Hi Jan,

Thanks for you answer, I can see have right. There is used umbracoRedirect for it. Is it possible to modify it, so the user not get a redirect? But the url is the right one i the first place?

Nov 29, 2010 @ 20:57
    Jan Skovgaard

I guess you just need to remove the redirect then. You just need to unselect the selected node in the redirect field in the content tree.

/Jan

Nov 29, 2010 @ 21:02
    Kristian Sørensen

Then i can't point to a another page placed another place in the structure.

Nov 29, 2010 @ 21:03
    Jan Skovgaard

Why not?

If you want the redirect to point to another page then you just need to select it from the picker? Or do I misunderstand what you are trying to do?

/Jan

Nov 29, 2010 @ 21:15
    Kristian Sørensen

I want the redirect to happen, but not link from one url to another. I want it to put out the right url in the first place. With this pointer, it get like a new url that when to go to the url it just redirect to the there is pointed on. I want it to find out the right url, in the first place and then skip the redirect.

• Josh Townson 67 posts 162 karma points
    Nov 29, 2010 @ 23:54
    Josh Townson

You can use the umbracoInternalRedirectId instead of umbracoRedirect to load a page without changing the user's URL.

This method won't totally mke it look like you are on that page, though, as any menus which highlight the current page will think they are on the target page. It also means you will have more than 1 URL with exacly the same content on it, which is a bad thing, especially in terms of google page rank.

If you do decide to make this change, you can't just change the property alias in settings - I would advise you to make another property with the alias umbracoInternalRedirectId, type content picker and then go through the content changing the new property to be the same as the umbracoRedirect property - then delete the node chosen in umbracoRedirect (I think it will take precendence over the new property)

Alternatively - if you mean something different - that you want the redirect to go to the target URL without the intermediate link, you would have to rewrite your menu macro to check each node if the umbracoRedirect property is filled in, and then write out the url of the page the redirect is set to. Something like the following inside your xslt somewhere:

<xsl:choose>
    <xsl:when test="./umbracoRedirect $gt; 0">
    <a href="{umbraco.library:NiceUrl(./umbracoRedirect)}"><xsl:value-of select="./@nodeName"/></a>
    </xsl:when>
    <xsl:otherwise>
    <a href="{umbraco.library:NiceUrl(./@id)}"><xsl:value-of select="./@nodeName"</a>
    </xsl:otherwise>
    </xsl:choose>

Hope this helps

Dec 01, 2010 @ 17:56
    Kristian Sørensen

Thanks for you help guys. It helped me.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft