Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• BarneyHall 141 posts 210 karma points
    Jan 29, 2011 @ 21:22
    BarneyHall

Creating a filterable portfolio

Hi folks,

I wondered how you might approach a requirement to make a portfolio of work filterable by mutliple selectors.

Something along the lines of: http://www.pentagram.com/work/#/all/all/newest/

The items are listed according to what categories are choose in the three drop-down menus at the top of the page. You can use any combination and the results are then filtered depending on what you set as your criteria.

I'm going to add categories/check boxes to each published item/node in the content admin. I was thinking that using a querystring would probably work.

But then I saw the above site and it looks like the selectors are changing the path URL.

I'd prefer to do something like this if I can as I feel it might be better for SEO.

But the mechanics have got my brain spinning... !

Is anyone able to give me any pointers? I'm still wondering how it might work that way?

Any advice gratefully received,
    Barney

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8787 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jan 30, 2011 @ 22:42
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Barney,

Technically, the pages you refer to are not changing the path - they all stay on the "/work/" page, with a different "hash" (or "fragment identifier"). It's a popular Ajax technique that makes it possible to not break the back/forward buttons in Ajax contexts.

I don't know how search engines handle this, but technically (again) it shouldn't be any different from using QueryString variables - what I do know is, that when doing something like this, one should remember to include the "canonical" link element, to let search engines know that whether you sort by date or name, the content is the same (so should not be filed as duplicate content).

/Chriztian

• BarneyHall 141 posts 210 karma points
    Feb 01, 2011 @ 10:46
    BarneyHall

Hi Chriztian, nice to hear from you!

Is this something I could replicate with XSLT?

Any links for further reading would be fantastic...

Many thanks mate,
    Barney

• Jatin Gadhiya 11 posts 31 karma points
    Jan 08, 2014 @ 08:39
    Jatin Gadhiya

hello there, I want to create a filterable portfolio/Gallery...can you please help me......???

and i was some try like...(http://www.diplo.co.uk/blog/2011/4/8/creating-a-simple-image-gallery-in-umbraco.aspx)

first of all create Document type(e.g.. Name:-Album) and also create album master page.... second one create XSLT file and added some code... and after added macro and import macro in album master page... and after added some images in media folder.... and after create content... choose the folder... and now display all images proper...

but i want to not display all images...i want to filterable like a portfolio...

thanks in advance..

I hope your reponse....

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft