Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Anders Aleborg 35 posts 67 karma points
    May 19, 2011 @ 15:21
    Anders Aleborg

Most viewed nodes

Hi,

is it possible to get top 5 most viewed sub nodes(pages) for a specific node(page)?

• praveity 100 posts 125 karma points
    May 20, 2011 @ 13:42
    praveity

Theres no built in functionality of it.

You should create a custom table and then make xslt extension to insert/update values.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    May 20, 2011 @ 15:40
    Rich Green

Personally I would use Google analytics, you can call a javascript function in your template to let google analytics when a page has been visited, it can then appear in a custom Analytics report.

You could then use the API to pull out this info.

The database solution will work but you'll be writing to the DB on every page visit. 

Rich 

• praveity 100 posts 125 karma points
    May 20, 2011 @ 19:17
    praveity

Rich, I havent found Google analytics that compatible with umbraco version 4.7, so using database solution seems the only alternative to me.

Sorry that the way I found it. 

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    May 20, 2011 @ 22:23
    Kim Andersen

Hi Praveity.

Just a small question, have I understod you correct if you are saying that you can't get Google Analytics to work in Umbraco 4.7? If not, are you getting any errors? And how did you implement it? There should be no problem regarding Google Analytics and Umrbaco 4.7 what so ever.

/Kim A

• ddella 8 posts 28 karma points
    Jun 03, 2011 @ 10:10
    ddella

Actually, I think he is talking about Google Analytics for Umbraco Package which is not compatible with Umbraco 4.7

However, it is still possible to use Google Analytics, but you won't have your reports inside Umbraco UI.

Jun 03, 2011 @ 10:15
    Anders Aleborg

Hi,

no I'm actually talking about just getting the most viewed nodes. Using google analytics isn't an option, I want to be able to display the most viewed nodes in realtime for the visitors. I have a FAQ part in the website and I wan't to list the most viewed FAQ's for the visitors.

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    Jun 03, 2011 @ 11:36
    Dan

I'm about to do a similar thing, and whilst I've not actually done it yet, I was thinking of just setting a numeric data type (or possibly a label data type, but I need to look into that further) on the document type in question and incrementing the value with either a user control macro on that document type or an AJAX call to /base.  You could then use XSLT just to sort those nodes on that field and show only the first 5.  I hope this is food for thought - let us know what you decide to do.

Jun 03, 2011 @ 13:14
    Anders Aleborg

@Dan, I created a small usercontrol that is included in the masterpage, still working on it though, might make it availble when I'm done

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft