Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Luke Johnson 61 posts 80 karma points
    Aug 06, 2011 @ 01:09
    Luke Johnson

Access specific SQL data with Query String?

I am builidng a news area, and want to be able to send visitors to a specific news story loaded from a SQL database. Is it best to use a query string to access the news story data?

On a landing page, I have set up the links like this:

<xsl:attribute name = "href">/bcast/news/article.aspx?id=<xsl:value-of select = "id" />

With article.aspx?id=<xsl:value-of select="id" /> I am hoping to send visitors to a specific story by referring to the id of the story from the SQL database.

However, my article.aspx page must be missing something. Here is the code thus far:

<xsl:param name="currentPage"/>

<!-- SQL Here -->
      <xsl:variable name = "newsStory" select="SQL:GetDataSet('DBname', 'select id, date, title, description, thumbnail, articletype from tableName', 'newsStory')"/>

<xsl:template match="/">

<h1><xsl:value-of select = "title" /></h1>
        <p><xsl:value-of select = "date" /></p>
        <div><xsl:value-of select = "description" /></div>
        <xsl:value-of select="umbraco.library:RequestServerVariables('QUERY_STRING')"/>

</xsl:template>

The query string populates to the page using:

<xsl:value-of select="umbraco.library:RequestServerVariables('QUERY_STRING')"/>

But I must need to add something to:

<h1><xsl:value-of select = "title" /></h1>
    <p><xsl:value-of select = "date" /></p>
    <div><xsl:value-of select = "description" /></div>

Is there some sort of "by ID" property I can add that will fetch the data from the specific story? What needs to be added? Do I need parameters to point to the story by ID number?

• Bo Damgaard Mortensen 719 posts 1207 karma points
    Aug 08, 2011 @ 23:02
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

Hi Luke,

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but to me it seems like you need the WHERE clause in the database query? If you want to get hold of a specific newitem, that is.

So your query would look something like this:

name="newsStory"select="SQL:GetDataSet('DBname', 'select id, date, title, description, thumbnail, articletype from tableName WHERE id = YourQueryStringId', 'newsStory')"/>

Also, as a sidenote, you should be able to get hold of the querystring from XSLT by calling the RequestQueryString() method from umbraco.library:

<xsl:value-of select="umbraco.library:RequestQueryString('id')"/>

Hopefully this makes sense :-)

All the best,

Bo

Aug 09, 2011 @ 19:47
    Luke Johnson

The addition of "WHERE id =" worked when I input a hardcoded value, e.g., WHERE id = 1037

<xsl:variable name = "storyID" select = "umbraco.library:RequestQueryString('id')" />
    <xsl:variable name = "newsStoryContent" select="SQL:GetDataSet('Database', 'SELECT content from webcontent_news WHERE id = 1037', 'newsStoryContent')"/>

<xsl:value-of select = "$newsStoryContent" disable-output-escaping="yes" /><!-- content -->

But it fails when I try using a variable instead of a hardcoded value:

....'SELECT content from webcontent_news WHERE id = $storyID', 'newsStoryContent')"/>

<xsl:value-of select = "$newsStoryContent" disable-output-escaping="yes" /><!-- content -->

Is there something wrong with my syntax? I need to be able to pick up the incoming ID numbers dynamically. I have several thousand media items (news stories, photos, videos, podcast mp3's, etc...) that I want to retrieve from SQL tables.

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Aug 09, 2011 @ 22:11
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Luke,

You just need to remember that you're actually still in XSLT, though you're building a string that's to be interpreted as SQL - so, in order to have the value of $storyID inserted, you need to use XSLT/XPath syntax:

<xsl:variable name = "newsStoryContent" select="SQL:GetDataSet('Database', concat('SELECT content from webcontent_news WHERE id = ', $storyID), 'newsStoryContent')"/>

/Chriztian

Aug 10, 2011 @ 00:01
    Luke Johnson

That did it! Thank-you.

• ramanathan 1 post 71 karma points
    Oct 03, 2016 @ 11:40
    ramanathan

i need to access the SQLdatabase by xslt code, i searched in web tutorials but unable to found . if anybody having idea about this plz share it .

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft