--- category 1
    --- category 2
    --- category 3
    -- theme 2
    -- theme 3
    Articles
    -- article 1
    -- article 2

An article can have one or more categories, that's the reasen that the articles are not placed under a category but seperated from structure. Within de doctype of an article, there is a multi content picker wich selects the appropriate category(one or more is possible)

I've a navigation build upon the theme/category structure wich runs fine. The problem rises when I select a article, the navigation state within the structure doesn't exist. Wich is obvious because it is right beneath the root. The url of an article is /article1.aspx.
    The url of the article should be /theme/category/article.aspx. Using the url rewriting engine, I can fis this. Problem is the selected state in the navigation.Which doensn't know the path to the article.

Maybe there are some other possibilities for this structure, suggestions are welcome!

• Petr Snobelt 923 posts 1535 karma points
    Jul 21, 2009 @ 09:05
    Petr Snobelt

If you have article with 2 categories, what is the right structure? theme/category1/article1 or theme/category2/article1? That's problem.

For navigation, you can create variable and fill it with first selected category, then use this variable instead of currentPage in your navigation xslt

• Folkert 82 posts 212 karma points
    Jul 21, 2009 @ 09:42
    Folkert

The nicest way to do, is show the full path. for example /theme/category 1/article1.aspx or /theme/category 2/article1.aspx. It is possible for an article to appear in one or more categories. Is there an other way which may be better then?

Using the variable instead of the currentPage is the way to go I think. Thanks a lot!

• Ron Brouwer 273 posts 768 karma points
    Jul 21, 2009 @ 09:59
    Ron Brouwer

I think it is not smart to make the same content accessible with two different url's
    That is very bad practice for searchengines and statistics.

The best way would be /articles/article1.aspx

I do agree it is not as nice but it is best practice, you can use session or cookie to remember the current categorie.

Ron

• Folkert 82 posts 212 karma points
    Jul 21, 2009 @ 12:30
    Folkert

Yes, I agree, may bee i'm seperating the articles from the category in the url. The url of the article will be just /article.aspx.

Thanx for your input!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft