Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Adam Nash 3 posts 23 karma points
    May 28, 2012 @ 03:19
    Adam Nash

Please help: A DLL in the bin directory causes all XSLT scripts to fail

Hello all, I have run into the dreaded "Error parsing XSLT file" error.  The XSLT files themselves are the default ones, unedited, that came with the package, and have been working fine until recently.

After extensive testing, I have identified that several DLLs in the bin directory are causing the problem.  In this case it is DevExpress dlls that handle charting.  These are required in the application, however the "Error parsing XSLT file" error is occurring immediately, before we even get to the pages that require these dlls.

As an example, I can have a web site where the XSLT files are fine, and at face value everything works correctly.  All I need to do is drop the DevExpress charting Dlls into the bin directory, hit Control+F5, and the XSLT parse error begins occurring immediately, with no additional changes.  And, as mentioned before, this occurrs regardless that particular page is trying to use those Chart dlls or not.  

I should also mention that these dlls causes all XSLT scripts to break, rahter than just specific ones.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I might be able to resolve this?  Any advice would be highly appreciated.

• Adam Nash 3 posts 23 karma points
    May 28, 2012 @ 03:54
    Adam Nash

OK, I have just stumbed on the solution.

During searches of peole having similar errors, I found out that you can add "?umbdebugshowtrace=true" to the end of your urls and it shows a stack trace of the error.  From this I was able to determine that a dependency for the DevExpress Charts DLL was missing.  Adding it to the bin folder resolved the issue.

So, the 'Error Parsing XSLT File' was no directly connected, but a byproduct of that error.  It looks like it was falling over before it was attempting to parse the XSLT file, and therefore the error message was a complete red herring.  I was getting the "Error parsing XSLT file" regardless of whether they were corrcet or not.

I hope this helps any other victims of this type of peculiar circumstance.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft