Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Umbraco 137 posts 294 karma points
    Jul 25, 2012 @ 15:09
    Umbraco

Changing an XSLT macro has no effect, old code is still used

Only when I restart the web server is the new XSLT code loaded and parsed. 

For development I need to be able to 'just refresh' to see changes to my code, how can I enable this?

Jul 25, 2012 @ 15:16
    Umbraco

By the way, the XSLT macro I am changing is imported in another macro through xsl:import. 

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jul 25, 2012 @ 16:17
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Michiel,

Due to the way Umbraco caches the XSLT macro (once it is compiled), the cache is only expired if there is a change to the XSLT file itself. This doesn't apply to any included/imported XSLT files.

2 options are:

1. Touch/modify the 'parent' XSLT file - this can be a pain if you are re-using the imported XSLT across many macros.
    2. Use the XSLTouch package - this will auto-touch any XSLT files that use the imported XSLT. (Warning it doesn't work on Medium Trust)

Cheers, Lee.

Jul 25, 2012 @ 17:49
    Umbraco

Thank you for this information! I'm going to install XLSTouch for development.

Do you think it makes sense to open a work item for this? Or is it not possible to expire the cache for imported macros?

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jul 25, 2012 @ 17:59
    Lee Kelleher

IMHO, it is not worth opening a workitem for this.  The XSLT compiler/transform isn't aware of the includes/imports, treating it as 1 single XSLT file. Umbraco isn't aware when included/imported XSLT files are changed. (Which is the problem XSLTouch solves)

Also given the focus is gearing towards the Razor implementation - I doubt XSLT will be allocated any TLC in future. (Despite my best efforts) :-(

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft