Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris D 17 posts 37 karma points
    Jan 29, 2013 @ 22:54
    Chris D

Does anyone know where i can find actual code examples of XSLT files?

I am looking for the following: 

1) Example of XSLT SQL query.

2) Example of a contact form written in XSLT.

3) Example of a Login Page in XSLT

4) Example of Navigation written in XSLT. 

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jan 30, 2013 @ 00:19
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Chris,

Curious as to why you'd like examples of these in XSLT?  Is it to prove that they can be in within XSLT, or another reason?

For executing a SQL statement from XSLT, there are a couple of packages offering that functionality:

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/sql-for-xslt-(jespercom)

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/a-sqlhelper-for-xslt

As for a contact form and login page - honestly these are better suited as user-controls (.NET code).  They can be done in XSLT, but it isn't pretty.

Lastly, navigation is best suited for XSLT.  Examples can be found via the Umbraco back-office; in the Developer section, right-click the XSLT tree, select Create and choose from the list of available example XSLT templates.

Cheers, Lee.

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jan 30, 2013 @ 09:19
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Chris,

Just to chip in, though I agree with Lee:

You should think of XSLT as one (of several) way(s) to generate markup. It is not in any way a round-trip language (my own term for the .NET like postback behavior) so you shouldn't do any "controller" like stuff in XSLT. It's purely a "view" language very well suited for XML data. 

• SQL - While I understand the reasons for the various packages available for this, I think it's the very wrong place to do that sort of behavior.
    • Contact Form - Actually XSLT is good for this, as long as you only handle the form generation - combined with a serverside control to handle the post and updating the model/datastore it could provide for a nice solution where the backend developer does everything he needs, leaving all the frontend form code to the frontend developer - huge win for both :-)
    • Login Page - same as above.
    • Navigation - If the data is an XML tree (like Umbraco), there's no better tool for this job - only problem is that (almost) every site has it's own little quirks in how the navigation should behave, so almost every "all-purpose" navigation package becomes a huge mess of configurations & conditionals. Starting from scratch with a couple of simple templates usually gets the job done much more efficiently. Look here for more about navigations and XSLT 
    /Chriztian
    Jan 30, 2013 @ 15:47
    Chris D

Thanks for the input guys.. I am purely looking to tackle XSLT everyway i can. Ive really only used it to read or output XML in the past, so today after writing a couple of XSLT <ifXSLT <choose> I wanted to dive alittle bit more into this since everyone is demanding XSLT HTML5 and JSON because it's the " New Fad or Big Thing" of development and design. 

I've just dove into Umbraco maybe 3-4 weeks ago, im starting to get comfortable with it but I want to master XSLT if i can and kill two bird with one stone. 

By the way, a Contact Form and Login Pages completely in XSLT would be lovely if you can point me to one.,. 

Jan 31, 2013 @ 15:33
    Chris D

By the way, a Contact Form and Login Pages completely in XSLT would be lovely if you can point me to one.,. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft