Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• dave2112 17 posts 35 karma points
    Oct 24, 2013 @ 10:47
    dave2112

Using descendant or self

Hi,

I have created a little product listing in Umbraco, my node structure is like this...

- Categories
    ---category_one
    -----sub_category
    -----sub_category
    ---category_two
    ---category_three

- Products (node id 2878)
    ---product
    ---product
    ---product

The product document type has properties which say which categories the product belongs to. These are done using a content picker so the user can just select the categories applicable. I am having some problems writing the XSLT.

On the category page I need to have a products listing. This was easy enough but on the category page I want the products that are in the sub categories to show too. So if I am on "categoryone" page I want to show the products that are in the category plus the ones in the sub categories.

I have tried to use descendant or self but I can't get it to work. Here is my code:

<xsl:for-each select="umbraco.library:GetXmlNodeById(2878)/descendant-or-self::product [$currentPage/descendant-or-self::category [@id = categoryOne]]">

Could anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks in advance 

• Kim Nedergaard 37 posts 144 karma points
    Oct 24, 2013 @ 20:24
    Kim Nedergaard

Hi Dave,

I've had the same challenge in a project. I solved it by making an variable containing all the wanted categorie IDs sepereated by komma - and then used contains in my xpath.

It goes something like this:

<xsl:variable name="currentCategories">
    <xsl:for-each select="$currentPage/descendant-or-self::category"><xsl:if test="position() = 1">,</xsl:if><xsl:value-of select="@id"/>,</xsl:for-each>
    </xsl:variable>

<xsl:for-each select="umbraco.library:GetXmlNodeById(2878)/descendant-or-self::product [contains($currentCategories,','+categoryOne+',')]">

*I assume categoryOne is your category-property on your product? :)

Hope this helps.

-Kim

Oct 24, 2013 @ 21:02
    dave2112

Hi Kim

Thanks for the suggestion, I think that could do the trick :-)

Thanks again!

• Kim Nedergaard 37 posts 144 karma points
    Oct 24, 2013 @ 22:10
    Kim Nedergaard

You're welcome :)

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8787 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Oct 24, 2013 @ 22:31
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Dave,

I'm not totally sure how your categoryOne property works - is it a plain Content Picker (so only a single category can be picked) or is it maybe a Multi-Node Tree Picker for selecting multiple categories?

I'm guessing it's a Content Picker, so you should be able to do it like this:

<!-- Grab all product nodes -->
    <xsl:variable name="products" select="umbraco.library:GetXmlNodeById(2878)//product" />

<!-- Select product nodes where the productOne property points to the current category or one of its descendants -->
    <xsl:for-each select="$products[categoryOne = $currentPage/descendant-or-self::category/@id]">
    </xsl:for-each>

(This assumes that the category + subcategory nodes have the alias category - but you can of course change that very easily)

/Chriztian

Oct 25, 2013 @ 15:08
    dave2112

Thank you Kim and Chriztian - both of those methods worked for me

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft