Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• dygfloyd 13 posts 24 karma points
    Mar 24, 2014 @ 20:05
    dygfloyd

Different XML in Firefox and Chrome

Ok, I'm having a very strange issue. I am trying to fix an issue in Firefox where it's telling me an XML node doesn't exist. Because of that, it has an issue parsing the XSLT file and cannot run the script. However, when I pull up the page in Chrome, it works fine. 

The site is http://jumpcompany.com/.

I have a test page that shows you all the XML for the site. 

http://jumpcompany.com/xmldump.aspx

If you pull up that page in Chrome vs any other browser, you get different XML. If you look closely, the node it's looking for (id=1295) is in the Chrome version but not the Firefox version. Shouldn't all of this happen on the server side so the browser wouldn't matter?

I can share the XSLT but I honestly don't think that's the issue. If I tell it to get any other node, that is actually in the Firefox version of the XML, the XSLT runs fine. I just don't understand why different browsers are getting different versions of the XML.

After a few tests, it looks like the Firefox version is not being updated. If I make a change to a node that is in the Firefox XML, that change is not reflected. However, it will be reflected in the Chrome version. Does Firefox/IE/Safari cache XML? Why wouldn't those browsers get the correct XML since it has clearly been updated as you can see by looking in Chrome. 

Thanks!

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Mar 24, 2014 @ 20:15
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi dygfloyd,

Must be a caching issue in Firefox - the XML is still just an HTTP request, so the browser can easily be doing its own version of "the truth" :)

Have you tried adding a random string to the URL (e.g.: test=ANChcbrjdn123)?

/Chriztian

• dygfloyd 13 posts 24 karma points
    Mar 26, 2014 @ 15:09
    dygfloyd

I have no idea. I did try putting a cache buster on there and I still got the same results. Eventually, the issue did just go away. The thing that really confused me is that it was consistently broken in Firefox, IE and Safari even on computers that had never been to the site. But, Chrome always worked rock solid. Now, it appears I can go in, make edits and they all appear to update fine in all browsers. I have no idea what fixed it.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft