Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Pratik Kothari 10 posts 30 karma points
    Nov 03, 2009 @ 08:31
    Pratik Kothari

rss 404 not found error

Hello,

I am trying to implement a RSS feed on my umbraco website.  I have looked at the CWS kit from Warren Buckley and tried to mimic that to generate this fee.

I have an XSLT file and a macro and a template that contains this macro.  Then on my Master template, I have added a        

<link title="RSS feed for your site" type="application/rss+xml" rel="alternate" href="/RSS.aspx" /> in the head section
     and

<a href="/RSS.aspx" title="RSS Feed for your site">
                                    RSS Feed
                            </a>

inside the body tag.  But when try to visit this page, it gives me a 404 error. 

I can't seem to find where RSS.aspx is inside the CWS kit as well but the RSS functionality is working in that website.  What am I missing?

• David Lees 5 posts 25 karma points
    Nov 03, 2009 @ 15:13
    David Lees

I assume you are using Umbraco 4.

You need to have a template called RSS.

One of the functions in umbraco is that you can override the default template for any page by changing the URL of the page, so for example if you wanted to display /about.aspx in template2 you could use the URL /about/template2.aspx. What you are trying to do here is display the home page in the alternative RSS template.

The code for the RSS template is:

<%@ Master Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="false" %>
    <%
        Response.ContentType = "text/xml";
    %>
    <umbraco:Macro Alias="RSSFeed" runat="server"></umbraco:Macro>

Make sure that the macro alias matches the name of your RSS macro.

Creating the macro is simple as the is abuilt in template you can use. If you go into the developer section and create a new XLST document called "RSSFeed" you should be able to select XLST from the drop down list. Make sure the tick box to create a macro is ticked. You will then need to edit the created macro to enter your sites details. Hopefully once edited the links you have set up should work.

• Pratik Kothari 10 posts 30 karma points
    Nov 06, 2009 @ 03:53
    Pratik Kothari

Actually, in the template I had to remove any extra spaces between the <asp:ContentPlaceHolder.....> tag and the <umbraco:Macro> tag.  The white spaces between the tags were coming because I had indented the code but umbraco was including these whitespaces as is in the generated xml and that was generating the error. 

If anyone else receives this error, please remove all white spaces from the RSS template page. 

Hope this helps.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft