Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• npanguuluri 30 posts 57 karma points
    Dec 14, 2009 @ 18:12
    npanguuluri

way to archive content

HI,

I have a requirement where I  need to archive the content from Monday to Monday. for example this week (starting from monday to the next monday) has some content and next week has different content. Before changing the content next monday i need the previous weeks content to be archived.

I hope my question is clear

Is there any way to da that..

Thanks

Naren

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Dec 14, 2009 @ 18:24
    jaygreasley

you can set an individual piece of content to be published and also unpublished on certain dates..

hth

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Dec 14, 2009 @ 20:37
    Paul Blair

Hi Naren,

Here is how I would do this, but there is probably several different methods:

Set up a news or blog type of section and modify it to your needs. Have it set up so it uses Date folders to make viewing archived documents easy. Modifying or using the Blog4Umbraco package may be sufficient.

Create a document type and node/page for your current item e.g. /latestNews.aspx

Create a macro that gets the latest news/blog item and place this on your latestnews template

Cheers

Paul

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Dec 14, 2009 @ 23:26
    Douglas Robar

I don't quite know what you mean by 'archived'.

1. Do you mean the content goes away (is 'unpublished' in umbraco parlance)? As Jay says, you can set an unpublish date. Or, you could create a scheduled task to auto-unpublish nodes.

2. Or that a content node moves from one place to another (from the /news folder to the /news/archive folder, for instance)? The only concern with this is that moving nodes will change the URL to the node and that can hurt SEO (though there are ways to alleviate that concern). You'd create a scheduled task to auto-archive content nodes.

3. Or that you have a macro that shows current content (such as news or blog items) and every Monday it should show the then-current items and put all the previous ones under a link called 'archive' that shows all the items that are not in the 'current' view? In other words, you simply have two macros... one to show the 'current' items and one to show the old items under a heading of 'archive'? This is the easiest to do as it is just some simple xslt or c# macros.

Or ???

If we can understand your needs we can help you find the best solution.

cheers,
    doug.

• TaoistTotty 246 posts 314 karma points
    Feb 19, 2010 @ 22:56
    TaoistTotty

I am trying something similar. I would like to show the last (for example) 6 news stories, and then have and area on the site that allows historic items to be found under month (if current year), or year, and then month if going further back.

Something like that found in Blog4Umbraco (at least in look if not in function).

Any pointers?

Thanks.

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Feb 20, 2010 @ 09:37
    Douglas Robar

I built a tool like that a year or so ago for a client project. Basically, it was a usercontrol macro that I put on a special page of the site. I then used the scheduled tasks in umbraco (/congif/umbracoSettings.config file) to call the page (and therefore the macro) that would look for pages a certain number of days old and move them to an archive area on the site.

I'll see if I can dig out the code as a staring point for you.

Maybe contact me through my website with your email address so I can send it to you.

cheers,
    doug.

• Hauwa Abdullahi 1 post 21 karma points
    Oct 16, 2015 @ 16:09
    Hauwa Abdullahi

Hi,

Just came across this post, and i am trying to achieve something similar. wondering if you still have the user control still lying around somewhere. It would be quite helpful.

• TaoistTotty 246 posts 314 karma points
    Feb 20, 2010 @ 11:39
    TaoistTotty

Doug, many thanks.

Have sent you an email.

Regards

Michael

• Julia 9 posts 24 karma points
    Dec 07, 2011 @ 12:58
    Julia

Hi Douglas,

My question goes to you, hope you are still there after the last year old answer;)

My question is about archiving old info, like folders from meetings, presentations, news articles by months and year.

What I mean you can see on our web http://www.nucc.no/activities.aspx

As you see there are lots of folders from previous meetings in 2011, 2010 and 2009. How can make accessible archive for those folders? Like when people want to go to 2011 folder and see the list of meetings. Im not a professional IT person so please try to use easy language when explaining:)

We use umbraco version 4.5.2.

Hope to hear form you soon.

Thanks

Julia

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft