Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tom Cowling 144 posts 342 karma points
    Jul 08, 2015 @ 10:04
    Tom Cowling

xslt render html

Hey,

Apologies if this has been answered before. I want to display the first 300 characters of a rich text editor and have done the following (which works fine).

<xsl:value-of select="umbraco.library:TruncateString(contents,300,'...')" disable-output-escaping="yes" />

What I would like to do after this is to strip out all images, styling and links. Is there any way I can grab all the outputted text and the strip out all code so it's just plain text?

The reason I put the disable-output-escaping on in the first place is so I don't get any of the html code being pulled in, but it throws in pictures and links and looks unsightly.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8787 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jul 08, 2015 @ 10:10
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Tom,

There is also a StripHtml() extension that you could try to combine with TruncateString() (do the stripping first).

(And then remove the disable-output-escaping attribute again)

Hope that helps,

/Chriztian

• Tom Cowling 144 posts 342 karma points
    Jul 08, 2015 @ 10:18
    Tom Cowling

Perfect - exactly what I was looking for.

Updated code for anyone who may need it in the future (not sure if you can combine the two for a neater solution, but this was the method I used):

<xsl:variable name="introtext" select="umbraco.library:StripHtml(contents)" />
        <xsl:value-of select="umbraco.library:TruncateString($introtext,300,'...')" />

Thanks as always for the quick response Chriztian!

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8787 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jul 08, 2015 @ 10:21
    Chriztian Steinmeier

No worries, Tom :-)

You can combine into a single line, but there's no penalty for creating a variable first - only improves the readability of the second line, IMO.

/Chriztian

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft