Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Darryl Godden 145 posts 197 karma points
    Feb 10, 2010 @ 12:28
    Darryl Godden

Substring in XSLT

Another day, another question...

I've looked at various references and I believe this should work, but it does not:

<xsl:value-of select='substring(data [@alias = "EventDescription"],1,20)' disable-output-escaping="yes" />

I'm trying to shorten the field for display as it is rather lengthy. Can you help?

TIA.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Feb 10, 2010 @ 12:37
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Darryl,

Have you tried switching quotes/double quotes? If you're in a loop, it might also be best practice to include ./ before the data fragment, to make sure you're getting info from the current node in the loop

<xsl:value-of select="substring(./data [@alias = 'EventDescription'],1,20)" disable-output-escaping="yes" />

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Feb 10, 2010 @ 12:52
    Kim Andersen

Otherwise you could also try out the extension: umbraco.library:TruncateString

You can use it like this:

<xsl:value-of select="umbraco.library:TruncateString(./data[@alias = 'EventDescription'], 20,'...')"/>

This function cuts the string after 20 characters, and insert ... at the end of the line. It's actually pretty usefull. If the EventDescription-field is content from a text-editor it would be smart to combine it with another extension called stripHtml like this:

<xsl:value-of select="umbraco.library:TruncateString(umbraco.library:StripHtml(./data[@alias = 'EventDescription']), 20,'...')"/>

This makes sure, that the truncateString doesn't break up a html-tag, like a link or so.

/KIm A

• Darryl Godden 145 posts 197 karma points
    Feb 10, 2010 @ 14:08
    Darryl Godden

That worked perfectly Kim, thank you!

Sorry Dirk, I couldn't get yours to work...

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Feb 10, 2010 @ 16:01
    Kim Andersen

Any time Darryl...

/Kim A

• Luis Soto 2 posts 22 karma points
    Oct 31, 2013 @ 20:13
    Luis Soto

Hi Guys Im newbie in xslt how can i split a text I mean i have a string "Ticket # 123456 was placed on 12/10/2013" i need only 123456

Thanks

• Luis Soto 2 posts 22 karma points
    Oct 31, 2013 @ 20:17
    Luis Soto

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Oct 31, 2013 @ 22:10
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Luis - welcome to the forum!

You will likely get much better results if you post a new question instead of continuing in this thread, since this one is already marked as solved.

/Chriztian

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft