Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Daniel Draper 36 posts 57 karma points
    Mar 29, 2010 @ 03:24
    Daniel Draper

Node property from another node using GetXmlNodeById

I have the following XSLT snippet:

<p class="meta"><xsl:value-of select="Exslt.ExsltDatesAndTimes:formatdate($currentPage/@createDate, 'MMM dd')" /><span><xsl:value-of select="umbraco.library:GetXmlNodeById(data [@alias = 'postAuthor'])/node [string(data [@alias='authorName'])]" /></span></p>

The propety postAuthor is an ID of the authors node. I would like to display the authors name from the authors node. I figured this should work but it doesn't and it doesn't display an error.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Daniel Draper

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Mar 29, 2010 @ 09:53
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Daniel, welcome to Our Umbraco.

You were close, but there is a slight syntax error with your XPath.  Try this:

<span><xsl:value-of select="umbraco.library:GetXmlNodeById(data[@alias='postAuthor'])/node/data[@alias='authorName']" /></span>

In your version, you were returning the "node" element, and not the "data[@alias='authorName']" value.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers, Lee.

Mar 29, 2010 @ 12:45
    Daniel Draper

Thanks for the reply Lee, I adjusted my XPath as sugguested by your example but again the macro rendered with no error and without the value that should be appearing. I also adjusted the syntax as follows:

<span><xsl:value-of select="umbraco.library:GetXmlNodeById(data[@alias='postAuthor'])/node/@id" /></span>

this returned nothing... Is this normal behaviour or am I completed missing something here?

Cheers, Daniel

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 29, 2010 @ 13:02
    Jan Skovgaard

I'm asuming that you somehow have a relation on you current post, right? Then you would need to add the $currenPage parameter into you selection I guess?

Otherwise I don't really get how you would fetch the ID without hardcoding it.

So I think your expression should look like this:

<xsl:value-of select="umbraco.library:GetXmlNodeById($currentPage/data[@alias='postAuthor'])/node/@id" />

/Jan

Mar 29, 2010 @ 13:22
    Daniel Draper

Here is some additional syntax:

<!-- Loop through each blog post -->
    <xsl:for-each select="$currentPage/node [string(data [@alias='umbracoNaviHide']) != '1']">
    <!-- Display the posts author (content picker, on doc type) -->
    <span><xsl:value-of select="umbraco.library:GetXmlNodeById(data[@alias='postAuthor'])/node/data[@alias='authorName']" /></span>
    </xsl:for-each>

Doing a value-of on just data[@alias = 'postAuthor'] returns the nodeID of the author node as expected. So I assume this is still an XPath issue?

Cheers, Daniel

Mar 29, 2010 @ 14:23
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Daniel,

Hmmm... I'd take a step back and see what's going on inside the data/values.  Try the following:

<xmp>
        <xsl:copy-of select="data[@alias='postAuthor']" />
    </xmp>

... then if that returns a value, then try ...

<xmp>
        <xsl:copy-of select="umbraco.library:GetXmlNodeById(data[@alias='postAuthor'])" />
    </xmp>

... to see if that returns the XML from GetXmlNodeById?

Let us know what it returns.  Hopefully, we'll figure this out soon.

(Personally, I think its something to do with Jan's suggestion ... the context of $currentPage?)

Cheers, Lee.

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Mar 29, 2010 @ 21:57
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Daniel,

It's indeed an XPath issue, from what I can see - when you call GetXmlNodeById() you get a <node> element back, so you should take the <data> straight from that one:

<!-- Loop through each blog post -->
    <xsl:for-each select="$currentPage/node[not(data[@alias = 'umbracoNaviHide'] = 1)]">

<!-- Display the posts author (content picker, on doc type) -->

<span> <xsl:value-of select="umbraco.library:GetXmlNodeById(data[@alias = 'postAuthor'])/data[@alias = 'authorName']" /> </span>
    </xsl:for-each>

(You version has an extra 'node' after the method call, which will go to the child node of the returned node, before taking the data element.)

/Chriztian

Mar 29, 2010 @ 22:21
    Lee Kelleher

Just had a "DOH!" moment, Chriztian is correct, it's the extra "/node" that is throwing you off!

Mar 29, 2010 @ 23:58
    Daniel Draper

Thanks for your help, after reading Chriztian's comment I felt like a **** :) Thanks for all your help.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft