Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• James Hildeman 92 posts 88 karma points
    Apr 05, 2010 @ 19:57
    James Hildeman

XSLT file could not be saved...v4.0.2.1

I just started receiving a new error on an Umbraco v4.0.2.1 site.  I can't save any XSLT files unless I click "Skip Testing (ignore errors)".  As far as I can tell, it's not file permissions related as I can write to the directory, create a new XSLT file and save the XSLT as long as I check the box.  Plenty of disk space.  I don't get any of the usual red XSLT messages at the top; just the balloon error on the bottom.

Here is a pic of the error:  http://twitpic.com/1dfz7n

Any ideas?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 05, 2010 @ 20:03
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi James

Do you by any chance have a redirect on your root node?

/Jan

Apr 05, 2010 @ 20:18
    James Hildeman

Yes!  Why?

Apr 05, 2010 @ 20:21
    James Hildeman

I just turned the redirect off and everything is fine.  I was using the magic "umbracoRedirect" property to accomplish an onsite redirect to another node.  This allows me to protect all top level pages except one (where my login pages sit).  Any good workarounds besides "turn it off, update xslt, turn it on"?

Thanks for your quick response.  I love how people pitch in and help in this community!

Apr 05, 2010 @ 20:27
    James Hildeman

OK, I see.  The redirect not only causes the "error saving XSLT" but also blocks the real error message if your XSLT has an issue.  Now I can see the XSLT error, although it's not very intuitive - moved xslt over from Umb 3.x.

Error message:

(XmlQueryRuntime {urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt-debug}runtime) 
    at Root(XmlQueryRuntime {urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt-debug}runtime)
    at Execute(XmlQueryRuntime {urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt-debug}runtime)
    at System.Xml.Xsl.XmlILCommand.Execute(Object defaultDocument, XmlResolver dataSources, XsltArgumentList argumentList, XmlSequenceWriter results)
    at System.Xml.Xsl.XmlILCommand.Execute(Object defaultDocument, XmlResolver dataSources, XsltArgumentList argumentList, XmlWriter writer, Boolean closeWriter)
    at System.Xml.Xsl.XmlILCommand.Execute(IXPathNavigable contextDocument, XmlResolver dataSources, XsltArgumentList argumentList, XmlWriter results)
    at System.Xml.Xsl.XmlILCommand.Execute(IXPathNavigable contextDocument, XmlResolver dataSources, XsltArgumentList argumentList, TextWriter results)
    at System.Xml.Xsl.XslCompiledTransform.Transform(IXPathNavigable input, XsltArgumentList arguments, TextWriter results)
    at umbraco.presentation.webservices.codeEditorSave.SaveXslt(String fileName, String oldName, String fileContents, Boolean ignoreDebugging)
    Apr 05, 2010 @ 21:15
    Jan Skovgaard

When you have a redirect on the root node you unfortunately can't save your XSLT files from within Umbraco.

You can read more about the issue in this thread from the old forum. In here it's explained why this does not work on the root node and why it's not currently being considered a bug. http://forum.umbraco.org/yaf_postst8720_Xslt-file-could-not-be-saved-anymore.aspx

It should be mentioned that if you use the umbracoRedirect on other nodes, which are on level 2 and downards it will work without problems.

Instead you could use this package to make the redirect you want: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/permanent-redirect

Hope this helps

/Jan

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Apr 05, 2010 @ 22:01
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Hmm, this is new to me! I've never had this behavior at all. I have an umbracoInternalRedirectId on my topmost root node most of the time.

However, I do als have a hostname set for that node, so maybe that makes a difference?

Apr 06, 2010 @ 11:56
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sebastiaan

Frankly I don't know. I just know that I and several others have come across this issue earlier. So I just provided a solution, which others have been recommending as well.

However I think it's a shame that the umbracoRedirect does not work on root nodes. But if I'm not mistaken it has something to do with the way Umbraco is being build. Just hope that it's something that will work out of the box when U5 is ready :-)

/Jan

• Matt Taylor 873 posts 2086 karma points
    Aug 12, 2011 @ 12:16
    Matt Taylor

I just fell foul of this myself. Thought a Windows update had messed something up.

Removed the redirect from the top node and xslt's started saving again.

Thanks.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft