Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andrew Blackmore 84 posts 127 karma points
    Apr 05, 2010 @ 22:04
    Andrew Blackmore

Getting attribute from another node

Hey All,

I'll start by saying this is either a real brain buster, or I'm stupid :)

I've been working on this for quite a long time now. I have 6 blogs set up on my company's site (not yet live thank god). I have almost everything that NEEDS to be working all set. There is sort of a 'blog network' homepage that has the most recent posts from every blog. Sounds simple enough. That part was. The hangup is in a small design element.

We have a large date next to every entry. The date should not show up again if the following post has the same date. I tried setting this up so the preceding posts' date was compared to the current post and if they matched, I didn't have the date show up. The issue I have run into is getting the createDate or postedDate (attribute I added for back-dating posts) from that preceding node. They only share the root node as a parent so the structure is this

Home

-BlogA

--Year

---Month

----Day

-BlogB

--Year

---Month

----Day

-----PostB

I just don't know how to find that PostA date when cycling throught all of this so I can't compare it to PostB's date.

Any ideas? Even a starting point would be helpful.

Andrew

• webangelo 107 posts 190 karma points
    Apr 05, 2010 @ 22:40
    webangelo

Andrew,

I believe you are asking for how to get the previous sibiling's data in a sorted list of Blog Posts.  The following discussion may have the answer you need.

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/xslt/8098-Get-property-of-sibling-within-loop

--Chris

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Apr 05, 2010 @ 22:55
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Andrew,

You should definitely look into using keys for this, i.e., define a key to lookup posts by their posted date:

<xsl:key name="posts-by-date" match="node[@nodeTypeAlias = 'BlogPost']" use="substring(@postedDate, 1, 10)" />

Now you can find all posts from any date using the key() function:

<xsl:variable name="posts" select="key('posts-by-date', substring(@postedDate))" />

So far, so good...

Now would be a good time to read about 'Muenchian Grouping' - Jeni Tennison explains it very well here: http://www.jenitennison.com/xslt/grouping/muenchian.html - so you can group by date and only show the date next to the first item.

Hope it helps, otherwise let us know,

/Chriztian

• Jesper Hauge 298 posts 487 karma points c-trib
    Apr 06, 2010 @ 01:04
    Jesper Hauge

This can be done without keys and Muenchian Grouping:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE xsl:stylesheet [ <!ENTITY nbsp "&#x00A0;"> ]>
    <xsl:stylesheet 
        version="1.0" 
        xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" 
        xmlns:msxml="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt"
        xmlns:umbraco.library="urn:umbraco.library" xmlns:Exslt.ExsltCommon="urn:Exslt.ExsltCommon" xmlns:Exslt.ExsltDatesAndTimes="urn:Exslt.ExsltDatesAndTimes" xmlns:Exslt.ExsltMath="urn:Exslt.ExsltMath" xmlns:Exslt.ExsltRegularExpressions="urn:Exslt.ExsltRegularExpressions" xmlns:Exslt.ExsltStrings="urn:Exslt.ExsltStrings" xmlns:Exslt.ExsltSets="urn:Exslt.ExsltSets" 
        exclude-result-prefixes="msxml umbraco.library Exslt.ExsltCommon Exslt.ExsltDatesAndTimes Exslt.ExsltMath Exslt.ExsltRegularExpressions Exslt.ExsltStrings Exslt.ExsltSets ">

<xsl:output method="xml" omit-xml-declaration="yes" indent="yes"/>

<xsl:param name="currentPage"/>
    <xsl:variable name="numberOfLatestPosts" select="3" />
    <xsl:variable name="blogPostSelection">
        <posts>
            <xsl:for-each select="$currentPage/ancestor::node[@nodeName='Home']//node[@nodeTypeAlias='BlogFolder']//node[@nodeTypeAlias='BlogPost' and position() &lt; $numberOfLatestPosts]">
                <xsl:sort select="./data[@alias='publishDate']" order="descending" />
                <xsl:copy-of select="." />
            </xsl:for-each>
        </posts>
    </xsl:variable>
    <xsl:variable name="blogPosts" select="msxml:node-set($blogPostSelection)" />

<xsl:template match="/">
        <table>
            <tr>
                <th>Date</th>
                <th>Header</th>
            </tr>
            <xsl:apply-templates select="$blogPosts//node" />
        </table>
    </xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="node">
        <xsl:variable name="pos" select="position()" />
        <tr>
            <!-- Date -->
            <td>
                <xsl:if test="$pos = 1">
                    <xsl:value-of select="./data[@alias='publishDate']" /><br/>
                </xsl:if>
                <xsl:if test="$pos &gt; 1">
                    <xsl:variable name="prevDate" select="$blogPosts//node[number($pos) - 1]/data[@alias='publishDate']" />
                    <xsl:if test="$prevDate != ./data[@alias='publishDate']">
                        <xsl:value-of select="./data[@alias='publishDate']" />
                    </xsl:if><br/>
                </xsl:if>
            </td>
            <!-- Header -->
            <td>
                <xsl:value-of select="./data[@alias='header']" />
            </td>
        </tr>
    </xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

This code creates a variable containing a list of blogPost nodes from the various blogs that is sorted by a date in a set property. (You can use @createDate instead if you like, but then you'll have to do a substring comparison on the datepart of the attribute in the last if statement)

This variable is converted into a node set with the msxml:node-set function, and this nodeset is then listed out.

Regards
    Jesper Hauge

• Andrew Blackmore 84 posts 127 karma points
    Apr 06, 2010 @ 15:25
    Andrew Blackmore

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of your responses. Let me read through everything and I'll let you know what works.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft