Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• wildlife 54 posts 74 karma points
    May 11, 2010 @ 06:57
    wildlife

XSLT newbie needs help setting up simple if conditional.

Hello,

I have followed the tutorial on Umbraco.tv for setting up a Related Links .xslt.  It is working fine.  I have it set up to load the links onto pages and have the display styled as I want it to show up with an <h3> header displayed as a title bar above the links.  The problem is that not all my pages will have related links defined.  On those pages, I don't want the related links .xslt file to display anything.  The problem is the way I have set it up, the <h3> header shows up even if there are no related links listed below. 

So what I'd like to do is modify the .xslt file to add a conditional xsl:if line that will determine whether or not there are any related links defined before it will display the <h3> line.  Can you show me what to wrap the <h3> line in below to achieve this?

<div id="related-links">

<h3>Related Links</h3>

<xsl:for-each select="$currentPage/data [@alias =
    $propertyAlias]/links/link

Note that the third line included is the initial for-each line that starts the display of the related links.  So I can't put the <h3> line inside there or else I'll get a new header title displaying above every related link.  I just included that line there to show how I have the <h3> line in relation to the rest of the .xslt file.  I took out the <ul> and <li> code and just added a line break at the end of the display of each related link because I thought it looked nicer that way.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide in adding a simple <xsl: if> line that can conditionally check for the existence of any related links before adding the <h3> code.

• Tobias Neugebauer 52 posts 93 karma points
    May 11, 2010 @ 08:18
    Tobias Neugebauer

Hi,

you can wrap the content of your xslt (everything inside the xsl:template tag) in an xsl:if tag like so:

<xsl:if test="count($currentPage/data [@alias = $propertyAlias]/links/link) &gt; 0">
    <h3>Related Links</h3>
    <xsl:for-each ...>
    </xsl:for-each>
    </xsl:if>

Hope tis helps

Toby

May 11, 2010 @ 08:53
    wildlife

Thanks.  That worked for what I wanted.

Unfortunately this has now led to a style sheet nightmare with getting it to display as I want it to.  For some inexplicable reason, pages with related links are displaying perfectly, but pages without related links are now completely messed up.  The body text area background has changed colors, the footer content has moved WAYYYYYYY to the right side of the page to where you have to scroll over to see it.

But I have the xslt code working as I needed, so now it's just a matter of doing battle with the style sheet editing until I figure this out.

Thanks a bunch.

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    May 11, 2010 @ 09:15
    Kim Andersen

Wildlife, maybe your pagelayout is messed up because of the div#related-links is printed in the code even if the related links-field is empty. This can result in an empty div-tag, which means that the div will collapse and mess everything else up.

You could try to put the

<div id="related-links">

inside the <xsl:if>. This would mean that the div only shows up if the related links-field is filled out. Does this make sense?

/Kim A

• Chris Dunn 210 posts 401 karma points
    May 11, 2010 @ 23:03
    Chris Dunn

Wildlife,

It's probably the MS XML processor attempting to close the empty tags.  Unfortunately that tends to mess up some css layout elements.  As mentioned you can test for the related links before generating the div tag.  However, if you need to have to div tag for layout purposes, like menu bar without menu items for design consistency, you can put a space between the start and end div tag using xsl:text.

<div id="related-links">
    <xsl:text> </xsl:text>
    <xsl:for-each ...>
    //Link stuff here
    </xsl:for-each>
    </div>

This allows you to place a space between the elements without using the &nbsp; and your element should not longer close.  And yes there is an actual space between xsl:text and /xsl:text.

-Chris

May 12, 2010 @ 03:51
    wildlife

Is there something wrong with using &nbsp; ?  I'm totally new to Umbraco, not an expert in the use of style sheets and am learning as I go along.  I used &nbsp; and that solved all the layout issues that I was having on pages without related links after getting this to work.

What I'm doing right now is going through all the Umbraco.tv videos one by one to learn everything.  As I'm doing them, I'm not only making sure I can get the functionality of everything working, but also the display of what's created. 

I've been having problems styling some of the elements being created by Umbraco itself.  I figured this one out on my own, but I still have a couple other elements that I haven't been able to figure out.  Specifically the individual elements of the login form and the individual elements of the forms that the Autoform package creates.  I was able to style the form itself as I wanted to (i.e.--background color, positioning, etc.), but I wasn't able to style the individual elements within it.  Everything I tried with that didn't have any impact on how the elements displayed.  I'm using Firebug in Firefox and Developer Tools in IE8 to try to figure out how to style these elements but haven't succeeded yet.  I think if I could see how to do it with one, I'd be able to do it with the rest.  For example, on the login form, how would I style just the top element that says "Log In".  In the way I have the form box styled, I'd like to change the background color and text color of just the element to make it appear as a header for the box instead of being two words with the same color and background as the rest of the form.  But I don't know where to access the code that is creating the login form.

Thanks again for the help.

May 14, 2010 @ 00:43
    Chris Dunn

There's nothing wrong with &nbsp; and can be used.  I have noticed it can effect certain styling in some cases, so just be aware of that.  The solution i gave was to correct a xslt parsing and cleanup issue more than a styling issue.  Preventing the self closing of tags.  That's why I suggested the method I did.

As for styling the login form I would suggest looking the the microsoft documentation to see all of the options available for the login server control.  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.webcontrols.login.aspx.

The markup you use to place a microsoft control, is not usually the full rendered content.  So a 1 line server control will render as standard html.    Microsoft generally provides control properties to style individual elements, though not all elements.

As an alternative you can you can view the rendered html, and build your style rules off of that, based upon what is actually rendered.

-Chris

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    May 14, 2010 @ 09:13
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Chris, wildlife: A tip that I've learned recently is to use:

<xsl:comment />

This will prevent any styling from breaking as it does not produce an extra space where it doesn't need to be, instead it will generate:

<!-- -->
    May 15, 2010 @ 05:05
    wildlife

Sebastian and Chris:

I'm just going to leave the &nbsp; in there for now simply because it's working, following the "If it isn't broken, don't fix it" logic.  But I'm saving this thread so I can refer back to it later if I find that &nbsp; is messing things up on any later use of it.

Chris:

I like your idea about just styling what actually gets rendered, but I'm still not sure how I'd do that here.  Here is the code that is getting rendered (note that I added the div wrapper around the table in the template as part of my effort to style everything.  That worked for being able to do things like centering the table on the page and giving the entire table a different background color.  But efforts to do things like changing the colors of the login button have failed.

<div id="login-form">
    <table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1" border="0" id="ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderDefault_BodyContent_Login1" style="border-collapse:collapse;">
    <tr>
    <td><table cellpadding="0" border="0">
    <tr>
    <td align="center" colspan="2">Log In</td>
    </tr><tr>
    <td align="right"><label for="ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderDefault_BodyContent_Login1_UserName">User Name:</label></td><td><input name="ctl00$ctl00$ctl00$ContentPlaceHolderDefault$BodyContent$Login1$UserName" type="text" id="ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderDefault_BodyContent_Login1_UserName" /><span id="ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderDefault_BodyContent_Login1_UserNameRequired" title="User Name is required." style="color:Red;visibility:hidden;">*</span></td>
    </tr><tr>
    <td align="right"><label for="ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderDefault_BodyContent_Login1_Password">Password:</label></td><td><input name="ctl00$ctl00$ctl00$ContentPlaceHolderDefault$BodyContent$Login1$Password" type="password" id="ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderDefault_BodyContent_Login1_Password" /><span id="ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderDefault_BodyContent_Login1_PasswordRequired" title="Password is required." style="color:Red;visibility:hidden;">*</span></td>
    </tr><tr>
    <td colspan="2"><input id="ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderDefault_BodyContent_Login1_RememberMe" type="checkbox" name="ctl00$ctl00$ctl00$ContentPlaceHolderDefault$BodyContent$Login1$RememberMe" /><label for="ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderDefault_BodyContent_Login1_RememberMe">Remember me next time.</label></td>
    </tr><tr>
    <td align="right" colspan="2"><input type="submit" name="ctl00$ctl00$ctl00$ContentPlaceHolderDefault$BodyContent$Login1$LoginButton" value="Log In" onclick="javascript:WebForm_DoPostBackWithOptions(new WebForm_PostBackOptions(&quot;ctl00$ctl00$ctl00$ContentPlaceHolderDefault$BodyContent$Login1$LoginButton&quot;, &quot;&quot;, true, &quot;ctl00$ctl00$ctl00$ContentPlaceHolderDefault$BodyContent$Login1&quot;, &quot;&quot;, false, false))" id="ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderDefault_BodyContent_Login1_LoginButton" /></td>
    </tr>
    </table></td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </div>

Here are the login-form style sheet elements I added:

#login-form
    {
    float: none !important;
    width: 210px;
    margin-left: auto;
    margin-right: auto;
    font-size: 9px;
    border: 1px solid #2763A5;
    background-color: #b5d8fc;
    color: #603813;
    }

#login-form form
    {
    float: none !important;
    width: 210px;
    margin-left: auto;
    margin-right: auto;
    font-size: 9px;
    background-color: #b5d8fc;
    color: #603813;
    }

#login-form input
    {
    background-color: #FFFFFF;
    color: #999999;
    font-size: 11px;
    padding: 3px;
    }

#login-form .submit
    {
    padding: 2px;
    background-color: #2763A5;
    color: #FFFFFF;
    font-size: 11px;
    }

There might be things with this not done correctly or redundantly.  I'm basically just trying things until something works and nothing has worked on this.

Focusing just on the

<td align="center" colspan="2">Log In</td>

line of rendered code, when I check that line in Firebug it says:

Inherited from  table#ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderDefault_BodyContent_Login1

It only has the <td> with no id assigned to it.  So if I try to add a style sheet setting for td in my login-form styling, it will then apply that to all the td elements that come after it in this table, won't it?  If that's the case, then I can't make just this top <td> uniquely defined to have a different background color and text color from the other <td> elements.

I don't know if there is a way to do it with this table#ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderDefault_BodyContent_Login1 part because I'm not sure how to style that.  I'm OK with basic styling but when you get into stuff like this, I get confused by it.  I'm thinking that I'll still run into the same problem even if I knew how to do that because the line I'm wanting to apply this to is still just a regular <td> cell and anything I add to style it will also style all the other <td> cells.

Do you know where I can find the code that actually generates this login table?  If I knew where it was coming from, I could perhaps do some editing in there, for instance to maybe wrap the table within the table in the HTML code that gets rendered in its own <div> so that I can apply edits to just that single table, also change the <td> in the first login line I'm focusing on here into a <th> so I can style it uniquely apart from the other <td> cells.

Thanks for your efforts on this.  Much appreciated.

May 15, 2010 @ 05:14
    wildlife

Kim A:  Sorry for not responding.  I somehow missed seeing your reply until just now.  The &nbsp approach worked fine for me, but I'll try what you said next time I run into something like this.  There will be more things that I add to this sidebar area I'm working on that will appear conditionally, so I'll try putting it inside IF next time.  I don't want to mess with what I have further at this point because it is working as is.  My newbie status to all of this has me leery of messing something up by playing with it more when I currently have it working fine. ;)

May 15, 2010 @ 05:26
    wildlife

I'm seeing this on the Microsoft page you've steered me to:

"Applying CSS styles

The Login control lets you specify CSS style rules in markup. If you use templates to customize the appearance of the Login control, you can specify CSS styles in the markup in the templates. In that case, no extra outer table is required. You can prevent the table from being rendered by setting the RenderOuterTable property to false."

So again, if I could figure out where the markup code is located for this, I could probably get it working the way I want it easily in there.

But there is no login XSLT file that I'm seeing.

The login code that's in my login page template is:

<asp:Login ID="Login1" runat="server"></asp:Login>

But that isn't telling me where it is coming from either.  So I'm stumped as to how to get in to edit the code that's generating the login table on the page.

May 15, 2010 @ 05:32
    wildlife

OK, I found something now that I hadn't checked before.  In my Macros section, under Member Login, I see it is using the .NET User Control

usercontrols/umbracoMemberControls/umbLogin.ascx

So I'm assuming if I can access that file, I might be able to edit how the table displays in there.  Is this correct?

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    May 15, 2010 @ 15:09
    Kim Andersen

@Sebastiaan:

Damn Sebastiaan I didn't know that you could use a comment inside of an empty div-element, to make sure it didn't collapse. I'll try that the next time I have a similar issue :)

@Wildlife:

When your Umbraco-macro uses the umbLogin.ascx-file, you should be able to edit this file, and by this edit the HTML-output. Depending on how the file is coded though ;) But yes, the file can be found in the file-system.

/Kim A

May 15, 2010 @ 15:30
    wildlife

Kim:  Our IT manager steered me to this package to do editing on these files in the admin area:

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/appcode--usercontrol-editor

It should be doable.  I have to try to style the login form, autoform, and the comments form this way next.

May 16, 2010 @ 02:13
    Chris Dunn

Sebastian, Thanks for the tip.  Wildlife, glad that you found something to work that you can style.  Referring to your earlier question about the source of the asp:login, that control is provided by microsoft and is embedded in one of their assemblies (dll) so you would not be able to see an ascx file for that control.

-Chris

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft