Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Joseph 34 posts 168 karma points
    May 12, 2016 @ 16:26
    Joseph

Umbraco 8, and Webforms support

Hi all, wondering if I can get an answer on proposed levels of support for Webforms in Umbraco 8.

(Apologies for the categories used for the post, struggled to find the appropriate forum areas.)

We have some active websites in version 7 which are developed using the Webforms rendering engine. If we look to retain these websites we would need to plan ahead in terms of upgrades.

We already strongly understand the numerous benefits that migrating to MVC will offer, but we need to establish for any not wishing to upgrade if they will be able to proceed onto v8 and have continued support.

So... with that in mind, for version 8:

• Will the CMS support a Webform rendering engine?
    • Will commercial packages such as Umbraco Forms enjoy continued support?
    • Will there be any additional considerations in terms of support for Webforms that would be useful to relay to clients?

... Again, if we could we would prefer to convert / migrate all the existing websites to MVC, but we have to pose the question so we understand the scenario for those with reluctances.

Any help appreciated.

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    May 12, 2016 @ 16:33
    Nicholas Westby

Good questions. I have asked on Twitter as well in case that helps get you an answer: https://twitter.com/MrMarsRed/status/730797868630429696

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    May 12, 2016 @ 17:10
    Niels Hartvig

Umbraco 8 is scheduled for the end of the year and the upgrade path will not be as smooth as previously no matter what as we're getting rid of a lot of tech debt (thus many breaking changes).

We'll continue to see new versions of v7.x the rest of the year as well as patch updates when needed in 2017, so I'm mostly curious on why you'd upgrade to v8 in the first place.

May 12, 2016 @ 17:51
    Joseph

Hi Niels, thanks for responding.

We understand as a major release there would be significant breaking changes etc, and that we also have the option of staying on an updated late version of 7.

It is more a question of ourselves being informed when discussing roadmaps with clients as to what will and won't be technically feasible.

We can inform client that if they continue in Webforms then we will keep them on the latest version of v7, or to lead discussions on updating them to v8 (and MVC regardless), but inevitably when considering options a client will ask if they can proceed onto version 8 while still using Webforms.

It may be that the client has an existing Webforms website in v7 and would want to update due to new functionality such as Variations and Segments or take advantage of other benefits v8 offers at the time, or to be running a version of the CMS which has all of that legacy technical debt removed.

I suppose fundamentally the question is, (regardless of our recommendations and wishes) would it be theoretically possible for a client to be retained on a Webforms based build and still be able to upgrade to version 8 (with any effort that entails)?

May 12, 2016 @ 19:24
    Niels Hartvig

It's a great question and I actually had to double check before I could give you a 100% valid response: There'll still be Webforms support in v8.

May 12, 2016 @ 19:33
    Niels Hartvig

Missed the part with Umbraco Forms. Yes, of course that'll continue to be developed and we've increased the number of ppl working on it since the beginning of the year, resulting in an awesome update out later this month and an even more impressive v6 of Forms (yes, we're skipping v5!) later this summer.

More info here: http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2016/5/10/a-facelift-for-umbraco-forms

May 13, 2016 @ 08:12
    Joseph

Hi again Niels,

Thanks for the confirmation on this, much appreciated.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft