Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tony 5 posts 75 karma points
    Oct 07, 2016 @ 01:16
    Tony

Is creating an Umbraco commercial package a viable side business?

Other open source CMS platforms like WordPress and DNN have a big market places where vendors sell thousands of WP plugins and themes and DNN modules and themes (at DNN's store).

I am not seeing anything like this for Umbraco. All I see are the 3 add-ons which Umbraco sells plus the open source packages.

Is Umbraco not a viable CMS to develop for for creating commercial packages? At least as a side business for generating revenue between say $1000-$5000/month?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Oct 07, 2016 @ 03:51
    Sebastiaan Janssen

We encourage people to make open source plugins for Umbraco! If you come up with the killer package / theme for Umbraco then you might have a winner on your hands. Remember that creating it is "easy", supporting and fixing it is a whole other story. :-)

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Oct 07, 2016 @ 06:03
    Dave Woestenborghs

Tony,

There are more commercial packages for Umbraco. See http://packagegarden.com/ for a overview.

But to make the revenue you are talking about you should be able to create a killer package like Sebastiaan stated. Something everybody would install and can afford.

Dave

• Tony 5 posts 75 karma points
    Oct 07, 2016 @ 06:27
    Tony

I checked packagegarden.com and there were about only 15 packages. I am still surprised the numbers are every low. Umbraco is over 10 years ago. Why aren't there more commercial packages? DNN has a ton more. Even an open source ASP.NET ecommerce software like nopCommerce has a healthy amount of commercial add-ons.

Why is Umbraco's commercial add-ons number so anemic when the software has been around for many years? Technical reasons?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft