Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert Shimield 9 posts 59 karma points
    Nov 23, 2016 @ 11:01
    Robert Shimield

Document management

Hello chaps

After building our website in this excellent system we are now building an intranet in Umbraco. Does anybody know of any document management solution extension in Umbraco or of one being developed?

We need to do the usual DM functions: Upload, download, check-in/out, add meta fields, search, move docs, re-order, email docs etc

Many thanks

Robert Shimield for Frimley Health

• Kai Leske-Heed 8 posts 79 karma points
    Nov 30, 2016 @ 16:43
    Kai Leske-Heed

I am having some trouble finding something to fulfil this need too. Old school DMS seems to be a thing of the past! Maybe I need to change our working methodologies rather than look to solve an old archiving problem.

Dec 01, 2016 @ 08:46
    Robert Shimield

A DMS in Umbraco would be very useful. It is hard to build an intranet without one.

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Dec 01, 2016 @ 09:00
    Steve Morgan

This was mentioned at the Manchester Umbraco Meetup yesterday. There were a few people saying it would be useful.

It seems that it's the last remaining useful bit of sharepoint (from my experience when it worked it was perfect - but often it didn't work!).

DMS to me meant versioning and check in / check out with locks by user groups. I'd assume the existing media library wouldn't be suitable for this so it would require something custom.

What would the key features be in your experience?

Steve

• Kai Leske-Heed 8 posts 79 karma points
    Dec 01, 2016 @ 09:20
    Kai Leske-Heed

To me I would be looking for Check in/out. Some form of version control. An audit trail (who users posted changes) and a locking system as a minimum. Beyond that, I would be looking at searches and indexes.

Dec 01, 2016 @ 09:41
    Robert Shimield

I would agree that SharePoint is excellent for document management, and I have to say I have found SharePoint DMS 100% reliable.

I would say a DMS needs to:

Allow uploading , downloading and deleting of documents. Allow documents to be moved, ordered and sorted. (Umbraco does this pretty well already.) Allow creation of folders. Allow permissions to be attached to folders and documents. Create, attach and display meta-data for search and for user information. Allow custom creation of meta-data fields. Allow versioning of documents. Check in/out for editing of documents.

That's all!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft