Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Delete 61 posts 450 karma points
    Nov 30, 2017 @ 09:17
    Delete

Umbraco 8.x, 9.x and Angular 2, 4 or 5

Hi, Dev team

I want to raise this debate again!

Sorry, but do not you think that the release of the new version was very long?

We are waiting about 1.5 years. The 8.x release was supposed to be last year. :(

But time is not the most important, the most important thing that you want to use the older AngularJS.

Do you think it is justified?

Why is the development so slow?

There are more important tasks?

Thanks

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Nov 30, 2017 @ 09:37
    Nik

Hi Delete,

I'm not a member of the core, but as part of the Umbraco UK Fest Keynote Niels discussed how there are changes to the HQ's approaches to releases.

The HQ made the decision that rather than rushing out new major versions quickly they were going to slow the major version release down and work on improving the current release. What this means is we as developers and as editors get a much more polished version with regular updates and new features. Version 8 will be released when the HQ feel it is ready but they won't rush it just to get it out. It's a much more pragmatic approach.

With regards to the Angular version, this has been raised various times in various forums (here, at code garden, in panel discussions, UK Fest, other festivals). At the minute there are no plans to upgrade to version 2 or higher as I understand it. The biggest reason for this that's been explained is the packages. They want to keep the existing packages working and not cause all the package makers to have to re-do them all. Now I'm no Angular expert (barely a beginner) but as far as I know you can't run Angular 1 with Angular 2 or higher as Angular was completely re-written so it makes sense to me.

I suspect at some point we will see the Angular version changed, but it will happen when the HQ feels it's the right time :-)

Nik

Nov 30, 2017 @ 09:50
    Delete

Hi Nik,

Thank you for the answer.

Of course, the dev team knows better what we need, but...

A lot of packages outdated or not supported.

The longer they delay the process of transition, there will be painful in the future.

For developing high-quality plugins, we need good and tested libraries. And nobody will develop for an old version of AngularJS.

In any case, when a new version 8.x wil appear, a huge number of plugins will stop working. To change the version of AngularJS, backend contains a huge amount of critical changes. All this will force people to rewrite their plugins. So why not just rewrite it under the new standards?

IMHO

Thanks

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Nov 30, 2017 @ 13:33
    Dan Diplo

"For developing high-quality plugins, we need good and tested libraries."

Really? How many packages currently rely on an external Angular library? Have you got figures to back this up? Because in my experience most packages are self-contained and don't rely on external dependencies.

"In any case, when a new version 8.x wil appear, a huge number of plugins will stop working. To change the version of AngularJS, backend contains a huge amount of critical changes. All this will force people to rewrite their plugins."

Why will a huge number of plugins stop working in Version 8? They're not changing the back-end to use a later version of Angular.

And, as a package developer myself, do you understand how much time would be involved in re-writing a load of packages, not to mention having to learn Angular 4/5 or whatever? It easy for people to say, "oh, just learn a new language and re-write all your packages" - but do you understand what you are actually asking?

You are saying to me, "Give up many, many nights of your free time (after spending all day working) and spend that re-writing your packages - and do it all for free". Never mind my family, my young daughter, my other many commitments....

Dec 01, 2017 @ 04:56
    Delete

Thank you for your complete answer.

Vitaly

• Sam 11 posts 97 karma points c-trib
    Dec 14, 2017 @ 05:08
    Sam

According to that logic we'd still be using ASP WebForms.

It's a technical debt that has to be paid of eventually!!

• John Bergman 483 posts 1132 karma points
    Dec 02, 2017 @ 20:10
    John Bergman

From what I read, you can run Angular 1 side by side in many cases with Angular 2+; has this been investigated as being feasible nor not? Unfortunately, I am not an angular expert..

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft