Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andrew Duncan 2 posts 72 karma points
    Jun 21, 2018 @ 12:36
    Andrew Duncan

Content Picker values change after package install

Hi,

I've created a package to deploy the necessary meta-data and content for my solution. Some of the document types use Content-Picker editors for some fields to link to other content items.

After importing my package into a clean deployment, the values for the Content Picker fields are not preserved. I've looked at the package xml and the values from the content picker are present (stored as node id's), however the node id's of the items are different in the target db from the source, hence the fields being blank in the target system.

Has anyone else come across this and if so how was it resolved?

Thanks

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 21, 2018 @ 15:04
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Andrew and welcome to Our :-)

Hmm, ok so your package is pointing to some nodes that exists in your local installation - But those nodes...how where they created on the environment that you're deploying to? If your environment is not in sync the node id's is not the way to go since they will not match. They're just enumerated every time a node is created so the two environments will quickly come out of sync, which might be why your local node id's don't match any node id's from the environment you deploy to.

This is why UDI has been introduced, which you can read more about here https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/reference/querying/Udi

I hope this makes sense and that I have not misunderstood your issue?

/Jan

• Andrew Duncan 2 posts 72 karma points
    Jun 21, 2018 @ 15:11
    Andrew Duncan

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the reply and the welcome :)

The nodes are created in the destination system from the package installation. Everything referenced in the package is deployed by the package, it's self contained. The issue is that the back office Content Picker control (standard umbraco control) appears to use the node id to store the item picked. This means that when the package is deployed in the destination system where the node id's will not be the same, the content picker value is no longer valid and so it is dropped in the backoffice UI in the destination system. Hope that makes sense. This is on version 7.5.14. If I upgraded to 7.6 or above, would all of the objects be assigned UDI's and all of the references fixed (eg the content picker selected values)?

Thanks again

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft