Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• dillorscroft 198 posts 192 karma points
    Mar 17, 2016 @ 21:35
    dillorscroft

Reference Site - Best Practice

One of Umbraco's strength is the freedom it gives you to use multiple different methodologies to build a website, however at any point in time I expect the core team have a specific method they would chose if they were building a new site from scratch.

I dip in and out of the Umbraco community depending on the freelance contract I'm currently working on and don't always see the progression from one best practice to the next until I start a new project.

I'm currently building a new site and wondered how people would approach a reasonably decent sized site for a global multi-lingual installation.

The last project I worked on used property value converters and it's worked well, cutting out some boilerplate code and providing IPublishedContent. We also mad heavy use of Nested Content package.

As Models Builder is now in the core is this approach expected to be the norm or is it just another route to the same end?

We'd like to continue using uSync combined with Courier and anticipate generating the models as DLL's but we're a little unsure how this fits in with a build server and our preferred deployment system Octopus Deploy. Can you generate the models using msbuild or is it just a plugin for visual studio?

It's not a very complex site but would using a controller give us any more flexibility over the model?

Where does Ditto sit within all this? Is it simply another option that allows poco' to be used rather than generated models?

In essence I'm looking for opinions on current best practice and have thoughts about creating a community driven reference site that is constantly under review and changes as technology changes.

Any opinions are welcome.

DC

Mar 18, 2016 @ 22:40
    dillorscroft

No takers? ;-(

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Mar 19, 2016 @ 12:21
    Lee Kelleher

Hey Matt,

Like you say in your opening, there are many ways to implement an Umbraco website.

I can't advise on an overall "best approach", only on things that have worked well for me and my clients.

In terms of a global multi-lingual implementation, whilst developing the Carlsberg projects, both Ditto and Nested Content packages were born from that. We had specific problems to solve. Those packages we're released to be shared, rather than declaring "this is the way we think you should implement your website". (e.g. if you use it, ace - otherwise, no worries)

Of course, this doesn't answer your question :-)

I think having community-driven guidelines/best-practices resource would be great. It would require a lot of effort, dedication and editorial control.

It would need to come from the community, as HQ have mentioned in the past that they don't build many websites these days. It is subjective for them to know what is "best practice".

I'm happy to be involved in the discussion.

Cheers,
    - Lee

Mar 21, 2016 @ 20:11
    dillorscroft

Thanks Lee...

I think https://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/hybrid-framework-for-umbraco-v7/ is almost exaclty what I was thinking of. Looks like I've been beaten to it.

I'll drop Jeroen a line to see if he still thinks along these lines.

Cheers

Matt

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft