Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Justin Isbell 5 posts 85 karma points
    Mar 22, 2016 @ 14:21
    Justin Isbell

Custom Member Model without Replacing Membership Provider

I am working on extending the ProfileModel or at least, having custom member properties that I do not have to add via the back end interface. I don't want to use the back end because I have several Umbraco instances running on separate databases that I need to keep separated. Each one handles its own authentication, they are totally separate. I wanted to just make a plugin/module that adds a few properties to the members. In looking into just extending the model it looks like most folks have a lot of trouble as seen in this post.

I read through the 24 days in umbraco post on extending membership and while that looks like it would work it seems like its overkill for just adding a few properties to the member. (Address, phone, etc). I thought about just creating a second table with the guid of the member as a foreign key and then loading the data in with my own api that builds a viewmodel from the ProfileModel and my CustomProfileModel.

Is there a solution for adding properties to the profile with a controller where I don't need make a totally new membership Provider? Splitting it up between two tables which would make member management in the back pretty messy also seems like a bad solution.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft