Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Natasha 79 posts 195 karma points
    Apr 01, 2016 @ 14:27
    Natasha

Hi Guys

I have an MP4 file which is quite large 44000KB so I uploaded it directly to the server and tried to link to it from the RTE, but I just get a 404 error. I edited my web.config to include I have tried video/mpeg and application/mp4 and increased the max request length, but still get a 404 error on the page. The video works when put on another website with the same configuration. Can anyone suggest what could possibly be wrong?

Thanks Natasha

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 01, 2016 @ 16:42
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Natasha

If you place the file in another folder manually somewhere in the project and reference it using an external link reference in the RTE then the max request length does not matter. It only matter if you upload the file using the media section in Umbraco.

I suspect that the issue occurs because the correct mime type for .mp4 is not setup on the server or in the web.config so it does not know the file type and serves a 404 page instead.

In the web.config please add the following in the <staticContent> section

<remove fileExtension=".mp4" />
      <mimeMap fileExtension=".mp4" mimeType="video/mp4" />

The first line removes the extension - to make sure things don't go wrong if the server already does support the file extension and the second line is adding the mime type again at the app level.

Does this help?

In the latest releases of Umbraco this is setup out of the box but in older versions it's not.

You might want to add other file types as well to avoid weird issues in the future - You can see some of the most popular types to add from the html5boilerplate project here https://github.com/darktable/html5-boilerplate-server-configs/blob/master/web.config

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

Apr 04, 2016 @ 09:30
    Natasha

Hi Jan

Thank you for your response. I updated the mime type as above but am still getting an error. I am upgrading to a later version as it seems to be a problem with this site only and works in all the others when I update the mime types. I will let you know how I get on.

Best wishes Natasha

Apr 04, 2016 @ 10:39
    Natasha

Update, Upgrading didn't make any difference. I have put the video on another site and linked to it from there.

Thanks for your help. Natasha

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 05, 2016 @ 05:36
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Natasha

Ok - Then it could sound like the limitation of the file size might be the issue. If you compare the two web.configs from the site where it works and the site where it does not work I'm 95% certain that they have different settings in regards of allowed upload file sizes.

Try reading tip number 1 from Jeavon in this post about how to increase the max size http://24days.in/umbraco/2013/6-easy-configuration-tweaks/

Hope this helps.

/Jan

• jigar 170 posts 233 karma points
    Apr 04, 2016 @ 10:50
    jigar

Hi Natasha,

You can do one alternate thing.

First upload a small file in media section.

After that you pick that file using RTE and test the small file.

After that you go to physical directory of your website and open the media folder of that e.g C:\Inteput{{YOURWEB}}\Media\1001 and replace the small file with big file.

Hope this helps, Jigar

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft