Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Topic author was deleted

Apr 08, 2016 @ 08:19

Examine/Lucene boosting relative to current site section

Hi all,

I'm implementing a search on a site using examine and have the following requirement.

Let's say the site structure is as follows

- Site
    --- Section 1
    ------ Subpage ( content contains word bacon)
    ------- Another subpage
    --- Section 2

So if I search for bacon I get 2 results which is good! But how can I make it possible that depending on which section of the site you are on the result of that section is shown first in the results?

Currently I'm adding the section name to the index (in a new field called section) and also passing that to the search page ?q=bacon&section=general

Of course if I add an or to the query Or().Field("section", sectionValue); I get all pages that are under that section.... and not only the pages that contain the word bacon

So I need a way of boosting without actually searching for the section term...

How would you accomplish that? All help appreciated!

Cheers, Tim

• Anders Bjerner 487 posts 2989 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Apr 08, 2016 @ 08:32
    Anders Bjerner

I'm only used to writing the raw queries, so you can write something like section:general^2 (the ^2 is the boost).

If using the chained method approach as in your example, I believe there is a Boost() method as well. Eg. something like Or().Field("section", sectionValue).Boost(2).

• Comment author was deleted

Apr 08, 2016 @ 08:35

Thanks but the main issue I want to sort is that I don't want to search for the section just boost the main result if it's in that section, not sure if that's possible :)

Since I don't want to return all pages of that section, I just want to make sure that results pages in that section get boosted to the top (if you are searching from that section)

• Anders Bjerner 487 posts 2989 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Apr 08, 2016 @ 08:45
    Anders Bjerner

Oh. I see. Then I think you might need do a manual sort after the search.

Otherwise it may work by being a little creative with your query, but I haven't actually tested that. Eg. by searching for one field that will always be matched (could be nodeTypeAliasor some other field) along with the section using the OR operator (nodeTypeAlias:SubPage OR section:general^2).

Apr 08, 2016 @ 08:46

Ok thanks for the tip :)

Apr 08, 2016 @ 08:39

So as an example:

- Site
    --- Section 1
    ------- Another subpage
    --- Section 2
    ------ Yet another Subpage ( content contains word bacon)

if I search for bacon and I'm in section 1 I want to have

Subpage from section 1 containing bacon

Subpage from section 2 containing bacon

as results

If I search from section 2 I want

Subpage from section 2 containing bacon

Subpage from section 1 containing bacon

as results

And I don't want to include all subpages that are under the section in the search results

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Apr 08, 2016 @ 08:59
    Ismail Mayat

Tim,

I had similar thing ages ago for a law firm. So it was a listing page powered by search. Initially it was alphabetically ordered however partners wanted to be first in results.

So using Document writing if current employee type being indexed was partner they were boosted. Thus as search time on that page they were always top of the list. Although in your case this wont really work as you have a section variable which is not constant.

You could however use gathering node and during indexing for the subpage type get its parent and extract its id and inject that in as a separate field. Then during searching you know the section which you are passing in then you can boost on that field?

Regards

Ismail

Apr 08, 2016 @ 09:02

Thanks Ismail, yeah I'm already adding it to the index during gathering node, just need to figure out how to build the query.... so it doesn't' search for the section but just boosts the main result based on the current section

• Nik 1611 posts 7237 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Apr 08, 2016 @ 13:14
    Nik

Hi Tim,

I'm not sure if this would help, but we did something kind of similar recently. We had to introduce a "Featured Post" type of thing that would rank higher but we don't actually search for "Featured Post" being set.

So we ended up with something like this in our Lucene query:

(featured:(+1)^10 OR featured:(+0))

So effectively we search for both featured and not featured but boost the result for featured.

Apr 08, 2016 @ 13:36

Thanks Nik, yeah not sure that scenario is useful since I need to boost depending on the current site section, not a property that all pages have... think that I'll have to manually sort after the search to accomplish what I want (like Anders mentioned)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft