Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Veksler 81 posts 166 karma points
    Apr 25, 2016 @ 16:40
    David Veksler

Facebook Instant Articles plugin for Umbraco

Has anyone implemented Facebook Instant Articles for Umbraco?

There are plugins for several CMS's, so it seems like it would not be a stretch to port one of them to Umbraco.

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Apr 26, 2016 @ 06:15
    Dave Woestenborghs

I had the idea to create one myself as I can't find one at the moment. Maybe some people are up for collaboration.

Dave

Apr 26, 2016 @ 22:28
    David Veksler

I implemented Instant Articles as an RSS feed with a simple HTML template and string replace. It works for all the basic fields, but not inserting custom tags.

We're still evaluating if we should try porting one of the plugins listed here: https://www.facebook.com/facebookmedia/get-started/instant-articles-partners

• Tom 18 posts 89 karma points
    Apr 27, 2016 @ 02:04
    Tom

Hi,

I have a requirement to implement Facebook Instant Articles using Umbraco CMS. We need to use Ads to be displayed between the contents. Is it possible using just RSS feed with Umbraco.

Could someone share the RSS feed implementation details?

Thanks

Apr 27, 2016 @ 20:20
    David Veksler

I have a working implementation, but I'm still waiting for Facebook to approve it, and have additional enhancements to it.

Message me for the latest version if I don't get around to posting it here.

May 04, 2016 @ 22:19
    David Veksler

Here it is: https://github.com/DavidVeksler/UmbracoInstantArticles

This has been reviewed and approved by Facebook.

I used Html Agility Kit to replace images and embeds with HTML5 tags.

May 04, 2016 @ 23:44
    Tom

That's great. Thank you David.

Do you have a basic quick guide for implementation? I am quite new to Umbraco.. :-)

May 05, 2016 @ 02:27
    David Veksler

I'm afraid this code snippet is not suitable for easy implementation and has to be modified for your specific requirements. It would take some effort to make this into a generic plugin.

I suggest you hire someone (like me, for example) to integrate this into your site.

FYI, since this was just written there will probably be fixes and enhancements forthcoming.

May 05, 2016 @ 02:48
    Tom

I mean a step-by-step algorithmic kind of things.

Like create a template connect it with a view add some javascript reference etc.. etc..

Just asking what comes in my mind. Don't bother about the example...

May 05, 2016 @ 23:47
    David Veksler

For some reason, our Instant Articles Feed stopped importing new articles to Facebook a few days ago.

I posted on their support forum here: https://www.facebook.com/help/community/question/?id=10108124477129584&pnref=story and had my friend at Facebook submit it to their internal bug system.

As a workaround, I implemented the Instant Articles publish article API on Umbraco publish event, but it's not in GitHub yet.

May 06, 2016 @ 19:21
    David Veksler

My Facebook engineer friend got back to me - the feed format must be RSS, but I did not get any error message on my Page when I changed the default to Atom, presumably because of a Facebook bug.

Now my code can be used to update articles via RSS - OR to push articles on publish. I republished the entire site to create all existing content as Instant Articles.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft