Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• John Greenwood 6 posts 26 karma points
    Jun 27, 2016 @ 10:05
    John Greenwood

Change back end password page

Hello,

Is it possible to change the message the user sees when changing their password using the "Change password" tab when they log in to the backend of Umbraco 7?

I have changed the password strengths for umbraco users in the web.config. However, I am unable to let the users know what the requirements are. I either want to add to the standard text of "Enter your current password, then repeat your new password to change it", or change the error message "Could not change password, error: Change password canceled due to password validation failure. (see log for full details)" to be something more helpful.

I have found a page Umbraco>Views>Dashboard>ChangePassword.html that contains the standard text but amending this text does nothing.

Could someone please point me in the write direction as I haven't found anything on the forums? Thank you.

• Fergus Davidson 309 posts 588 karma points
    Jun 27, 2016 @ 10:23
    Fergus Davidson

Hi John

i think it is in somewhere like:

/Umbraco/dashboard/ChangePassword.ascx

Jun 27, 2016 @ 11:17
    John Greenwood

Hi Fergus,

Thank you for your reply. There are only 4 files in that location and none are the changepassword.ascx. I searched the whole drive for "changepassword" and only found the page "umbraco/views/dashboard/changepassword.html" as mentioned above, that I have changed and doesn't appear to be used.

Jun 27, 2016 @ 11:20
    Fergus Davidson

Hi John

looks like it's moved from earlier versions of 7.

try \Umbraco\Controls\passwordChanger.ascx

EDIT: just tried that myself - doesn't work, sorry

Jun 27, 2016 @ 11:31
    Fergus Davidson

Found it: \Umbraco\Views\propertyeditors\changepassword\changepassword.html

Jun 27, 2016 @ 12:17
    John Greenwood

Hi Fergus, thank you again. I found that page but it doesn't seem to be the page I am seeing. I don't know if I have a different version. I'm on 7.1.7 and see the attached password change page.enter image description here

Jun 27, 2016 @ 13:21
    Fergus Davidson

Yep - thats a different version to what i am looking at.

As it is in a tab in your version, can you not see the path to the file in the dashboard config?

Jun 27, 2016 @ 15:58
    John Greenwood

Yes the dashboard config is pointing to "views/dashboard/changepassword.html" I can change the file that the tab is displaying but I can't actually change the wording within that file. I tried editing the wording within the intro tab but that didn't update in the backend either.

I am assuming that views/dashboard/changepassword.html means umbraco/views/dashboard/changepassword.html. I have searched the entire directory for the wording within these pages and it points to these pages too. I have tried building Umbraco and clearing the cache but it is just not updating. It's a strange one.

Jun 28, 2016 @ 10:08
    John Greenwood

Hello Fergus,

It is now working for me. I had changed the text on umbraco/views/dashboard/changepassword.html but it was not being displayed on the browser. I cleared the cache numerous times but it didn't display the changes. I eventually gave up, shut down my PC and looked at it the following day and it was now magically displaying the text. I can only imagine that either my PC was locking a file or the browser was caching the page. Thank you very much for your help.

Regards John

Jun 28, 2016 @ 10:25
    Fergus Davidson

glad you got it sorted

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft