Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Steve Morgan 1348 posts 4457 karma points c-trib
    Jul 11, 2016 @ 13:49
    Steve Morgan

One Umbraco Code Base - 32+ deployments from a single code base (with updates!)

Hi,

I have a requirement to take the same Umbraco project and have 32 different instances of it. Each instance will have identical code but obviously different content. I'll need to keep all instances up to date with the same code base (and there will be continued development).

I'm looking at using a deployment tool like Buildmaster or Octopus to automate the deployment (as it might grow from 32!) and uSync to deploy Doc Type changes.

Does anyone have any experience of doing something similar - am I missing something obvious which means this won't work?

I can see UAAS's baseline projects almost fit the bill but is there anything that retains a link and allows you to 'deploy to all' for dev changes?

Kind regards

Steve

• David Peck 690 posts 1896 karma points c-trib
    Jul 11, 2016 @ 21:31
    David Peck

You can't just have this as a single install I assume? I think you're going to have to become a grunt/ gulp master.

Jul 12, 2016 @ 10:40
    Steve Morgan

That's what I expected. I was hoping for a warm fuzzy feeling from someone saying "we've just done it using {insert tool here} and it was easy and the client didn't mine the {insert cost of tool here} price tag!".

But, yes, it has to be separate installs. Lots of different members and I don't want to head down the securing nodes / members / media for different users.

• Lee Kelleher 4024 posts 15833 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jul 12, 2016 @ 11:17
    Lee Kelleher

You're pretty much describing the UaaS BaselineFlow feature.

Of course, pricing may be a concern, but I think if you find an alternative solution, the overall costs (including time spent on research/architecture) might be similar.

Jul 12, 2016 @ 12:17
    Steve Morgan

Cool Lee - is this a current, live, feature then? I hadn't realised you could do this.

I thought there was a concept of a base build but once you "spun" an instance out of it that was it.. I shall look into this now!

Kind regards

Steve

• Lee Kelleher 4024 posts 15833 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jul 12, 2016 @ 12:21
    Lee Kelleher

Yup, it's a live feature, we're using it on the Carlsberg projects.

The idea is that you have a single "master" project, then you create child projects from it, which you can keep in sync (in terms of code & schema) with a push of a button.

(You can also create child projects from child projects, but I don't want to confuse matters here :-P)

Cheers,
    - Lee

Jul 12, 2016 @ 13:01
    Steve Morgan

Great info - thanks Lee.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft