Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• acavuoto 7 posts 37 karma points
    Jul 12, 2016 @ 11:34
    acavuoto

Backend - Hide subitem and display them as a grid in the parent interface

Hi guys,

We are in the process of implementing a new website in umbraco and we are facing a small challenge already. Some of the content of the website, in fact, is going to be migrated from other systems and we will end up having about 2000 news items underneath the news hub page.

We could group the news items in folders by year (and eventually month) but we already know that the client is going to be strongly against this structure. What we would like is to hide all the children of the news hub and show a grid if the user select the hub, which would display, for instance, only 30 subitems and a pagination. Of course from the interface the user can add or delete a news items. Something like this http://screencast.com/t/ub3kF6juam48

In sitecore we would have used a bucket to deal with this kind of requirements. Do you know if there is a component on the market that implements something similar to this?

Thanks a lot, Annio

• Ian 178 posts 752 karma points
    Jul 12, 2016 @ 11:51
    Ian

In Umbraco List view displays a paginated list of children, with controls for add and delete, you can control the page size and the columns to show. When creating the document type for the hub tick the option to allow list view and a child items tab is automatically added which contains the list view control.

List view controls can also be added as a property using by using the datatype editor to create your list view and adding as you would other properties.

Jul 12, 2016 @ 15:41
    acavuoto

Oh dear,

I didn't know that that functionality was out of the box. It's absolutely brilliant, thank you very much!

I was wondering: is there a way to force a specific template to display in the tree on the left hand side even if the parent template is set to have list enabled?

Annio

Jul 12, 2016 @ 21:23
    Ian

Not out of the box no. Depending how much you want to get involved in angular you could create your own version of list view. I've tried monkey patching it before but many of the umbraco controllers dont lend themselves to this.

Jul 12, 2016 @ 21:53
    Ian

It may be worth looking at this https://our.umbraco.org/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/78647-separate-browse-access-between-content-section-and-content-picker.

The reason i say this is that if you look at it from a different perspective you could display some child nodes and not others. I think in a lot of cases its impractical and i havent tested it but whether by disabling browse access to all nodes except the node you want forces just that node to appear in the tree i dont know. I suspect it has a low probabilty of working for your case.

Jul 13, 2016 @ 08:53
    acavuoto

I see, Thanks a lot Ian

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft