Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Adriano Fabri 458 posts 1601 karma points
    Jul 19, 2016 @ 16:01
    Adriano Fabri

Problems with custom routes and Umbraco 7 (404 error for children)

Hi, I'm trying to create a custom routing (umbraco v7.4.3) This is my first time with Umbraco/MVC and custom routes.

I created in content section an umbraco node (doctype: dati) called: dati (url: www.miodominio.it/dati) This will have an undefined number of child and the url could be something like this: - www.miodominio.it/dati/italy - www.miodominio.it/dati/italy/univeristy - www.miodominio.it/dati/italy/university/public - etc.

Where italy, university and public are parameters.

In content tree I create for now only the "dati" node (document type: dati).

I create a DynamicPageRoutesHandler.cs

I create a ContentFinder.cs

I create a DatiController.cs

I create a DatiModel.cs

I create a DatiView.cshtml

The "dati" page function properly because the node exist in content section and use my custom view correctly passed by my custom routing. When I try to display a child of dati (that not exist in content tree), I receive a 404 error

What I do now? First of all I don't know what and how many children will have the "dati" node I must create all rewriting urls for each parameter? Can I tell to Umbraco to render a virtual node (document type: "dati") that not exist in content tree? What is the right way?

Thank you in advance for help Adriano

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Aug 19, 2016 @ 05:53
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Adriano,

The last time I did a custom routing with dynamic/wildcard parameters, I came up with this gist...

https://gist.github.com/leekelleher/5966488#file-myapplication-cs-L21

(See the comments under the code snippet)

Alternatively there's a package called AutoRouteTemplate that might be able to help.

Cheers,
    - Lee

Aug 23, 2016 @ 16:20
    Adriano Fabri

Hi Lee, I tried to use the same code like your, but it isn't working.

I try to display this url: www.mydomain.com/dati/dsu/italy/university

This is the code of MyApplication.cs:

using System.Linq;
    using Umbraco.Core;
    using Umbraco.Web.Routing;

namespace ustat.dati.Application
    {
        public class MyApplication : ApplicationEventHandler
        {
            protected override void ApplicationStarting(UmbracoApplicationBase umbracoApplication, ApplicationContext applicationContext)
            {
                ContentFinderResolver.Current.InsertTypeBefore<ContentFinderByNotFoundHandlers, ContentFinderForWhatever>();
                base.ApplicationStarting(umbracoApplication, applicationContext);
            }
        }

// the example here is to have a 'virtual url'.
        // this is required on a specific DocType, after @level=3
        public class ContentFinderForWhatever : IContentFinder
        {
            public bool TryFindContent(PublishedContentRequest contentRequest)
            {
                if (contentRequest != null)
                {
                    var path = contentRequest.Uri.GetAbsolutePathDecoded();
                    var parts = path.Split(new[] { '/' }, System.StringSplitOptions.RemoveEmptyEntries);
                    if (parts.Length > 2)
                    {
                        var level3 = string.Concat('/', string.Join("/", parts.Take(3)), '/');
                        var node = contentRequest.RoutingContext.UmbracoContext.ContentCache.GetByRoute(level3);

if (node.DocumentTypeAlias == "dati")
                            contentRequest.PublishedContent = node;
                    }
                }

return contentRequest.PublishedContent != null;
            }
        }
    }

But I receive this error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

"dati" (doctype: dati - controller: DatiController - action: Index) is the only node created in content. When I try to view /dati/dsu/italy/university, I would to call a specific action (controller: DatiController - action: DataFilter) with dsu, italy and university as parameters. The node to render is always "dati" but it must display different views based on the action.

I hope I explained clearly my need

Adriano

Aug 24, 2016 @ 16:33
    Adriano Fabri

Hi Lee, I used the AutoRouteTemplate package as you suggest and it function properly in a simple project (umbraco node with assigned template)...but not if I try to use my custom controller.

Can you help me?

You can refer directly to my post in AutoRouteTemplate package forum for details.

Thank you Adriano

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Aug 25, 2016 @ 08:43
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Adriano,

I'm not sure where you're at with your code now... have you decided on using AutoRouteTemplate?

(I haven't actually used that package before, but I know the developer, Jonathan - who's been replying on the other forum thread)

Interesting that the custom IContentFinder code didn't work. I'd be curious what is causing the null reference error.

Cheers,
    - Lee

Aug 25, 2016 @ 11:53
    Adriano Fabri

Hi Lee, yes...at the end I used the AutoRouteTemplate and I solved.

This is the last post I send to Jonathan that explain what I did.

Thank you again for your support.

Have a nice day

Adriano

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft