Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tim C 161 posts 528 karma points
    Aug 24, 2016 @ 13:59
    Tim C

Make document editing WYSIWYG?

My employer's current (bespoke, but due for replacement) CMS system is effectively wysiwyg in that when users edit a document, the back end looks up the allocated template and displays the content in the preview/published layout and they just edit the content fields in situ.

Users are very comfortable with this, and switching to a new CMS with a list of fields (ie properties) in a tabbed form (such as Umbraco and - I think - most CMS system do) might make them nervous.

I was wondering if we could do a little jiggery-pokery and simulate this ie retrieve the template and lay out the fields in the published page layout rather than the vertical/tabbed format.

Possibly even doing this with jQuery after the document is loaded.

Does anyone think this is possible?

If so :

1. How could we retrieve the template content : is there some way via ajax?
    2. Where would we put the javascript go that does all this in the back end?

Thanks for any ideas

• David Brendel 792 posts 2970 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Aug 24, 2016 @ 15:23
    David Brendel

Hi Tim,

there is a package called Frontend Editing (https://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/frontend-editing/) which seems to do what you need.

But I'm not sure if it is still maintained and also working with the latest version of Umbraco.

Regards David

• Tim C 161 posts 528 karma points
    Aug 25, 2016 @ 07:01
    Tim C

David

Thanks for that. I am using FrontEnd Editing and it is an excellent package - it allows you go straight into editing a document from the front end.

However, it simply puts you into the standard Umbraco document editing form (with lists of fields within tabs) so it doesn't affect the editing layout in any way.

Thanks anyway

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft