Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Frederik T 234 posts 345 karma points
    Oct 03, 2016 @ 08:08
    Frederik T

Thought experiment: Umbraco on .Net Core?

So I was thinking about putting a small web server on a raspberry pi, and remembered about Windows 10 IoT support.

Which gave me an idea: Put a umbraco website on a raspberry pi! But given that Umbraco is closely tied up to .Net 4.5 it seems like a daunting task so far.

But if the Umbraco "backend" could be updated to utilize .Net Core (or .Net Standard or what they are calling it now...), it could open Umbraco up to potentially any kind of platform.

Now that would be awesome!

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5270 karma points MVP 2x
    Oct 03, 2016 @ 11:00
    Shannon Deminick

This is a work in progress:

https://github.com/shazwazza/Umbraco-Cms/tree/dev-v9

I've been working through this for quite some time. We've also done workshops with Microsoft on having Umbraco work with ASP.Net Core. There's a ton of work to do but currently the Core project is compiling and I'm working on a command line to install umbraco etc... The Web project has a long way to go with regards to converting controllers, filters, authn/z, etc...

I still have some code I haven't committed yet too but this repo will be the closest you'll get to Umbraco on ASP.Net Core. It will still be quite a long time before it will all actually work.

Oct 03, 2016 @ 11:11
    Frederik T

Wow! Yeah that is indeed quite a lot of work! But it is quite amazing that you are hacking away at it already.

Sadly I am not proficient enough to be of any help :( but I would gladly try and spread the word, because I believe there are many benefits to be had in the long run.

Oct 03, 2016 @ 11:46
    Frederik T

Btw if this can speed up your work, then check this out:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2016/09/26/introducing-net-standard/

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft